Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

FOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ dagger

Article about: Gents - I struggle calling these a "knife" as they are two sided blades, but I know some folks refer to them that way. Anyway! - most importantly, this one was offered to me at a v

?

Default FOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ dagger

Gents - I struggle calling these a "knife" as they are two sided blades, but I know some folks refer to them that way.
    Anyway! - most importantly, this one was offered to me at a very good price, and I haven't paid for it yet - seller sent it to me to review before making a decision, so I wanted to share with you. I appreciate your analysis and opinions!

This is an F&A Helbig variant with the painted "crackle" scabbard and handle. Here are some data points and my observations, but I welcome yours:
    - there is no "K" stamp on the cross guard edge (although I don't think we necessarily see those stamps on this variant?)
    - There is an NSFK stamp (double stamped) on the throat of the scabbard
    - There is a scratch in the paint on the obverse handle
    - the blade has some scratches ...nothing to write home about, but pretty nice, especially for these class of daggers
    - the leather strap is pretty worn, but solid (it's not too supple from cleaning or treatment ...those are the ones that scare me).
    - the screws are flat and intact, EXCEPT - one screw is ajar. I am guessing there is a chance it was missing a screw at one point and someone jammed in a replacement (see blue arrow in photo)

So ...that's it. What are your opinions? I am leaning towards liking it. Again, sometimes I overlook key features, so let me know. I appreciate you. I hope you are having a good week so far! Dan

FOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ daggerFOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ daggerFOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ daggerFOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ daggerFOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ dagger[ATTACH]undefined[/ATTACH]
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ dagger   FOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ dagger  

FOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ dagger   FOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ dagger  

FOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ dagger   FOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ dagger  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement FOR REVIEW - Helbig NSFK Flyer's knife/ dagger
    P
    Many

?

I guess what I am struggling with is ; Is this piece investment worthy ? It seems decent to me, but haven’t seen/ handled enough of them personally to rank this piece in my own mind as investment worthy - Dan

Hi Dan..I like it ....this NSFK by Helbig is correct having the silver washed aluminum fittings.
    Other than a few scuffs on the scabbard and grip...it is still representative of the NSFK.
    Its also correct having only the NSFK marking on the throat.

I cant tell if the upper scabbard screw is original or just worked its way out over time...but still a very decent example

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

I had a few crackly finish alu Helbigs along the way, the thin leather straps used by Helbig are not the high quality ones like for example SMF used.
    Mine had the same bad schrunk thin leather, so you might call that almost textbook

Its a nice Knife with a replaced sidescrew on the top fitting, so a bit less value there, but overal a nice collectible one!

Ger

?

Thank you guys for the feedback … I did decide that this one is a “ keeper” - Dan