Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sword Luftwaffe - need help please

Article about: Please give your opinion on this Luftwaffe sword. Is this really an original Hörster from the period TR? Sorry for the something stupid question, but I'm beginner collector and I'm still le

Condition on the sword is like it was manufactured last week. No patina at all really, not a scratch or a scuff mark. Though I think I see some spots of plating lift on the blade. It would have to have been stored in a box in perfect conditions to last 80 years.
    It's well made, but as Ger says could be a post war assembly of parts. This is where a prudent buyer would expect convincing provenance of authenticity before opening the wallet.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sword Luftwaffe - need help please
    P
    Many

?

Peter there is a reason why is always stick to early daggers & swords

Ger

?

Gentlemen, thank you for your advice and opinions. I had doubts about the "Horster" logo and your arguments convincend me. Looks like you saved me quite a bit of money. I already own some swords so I´ll probably show some photos in time ;-)
    Thanks
    Laco2

This is a hobby where having a healthy dose of skepticism is essential. Not everything is as it seems, and with regards exceptionally mint edged weapons, particularly daggers and swords that are easily assembled and disassembled; "if it looks too good to be true..." is a good adage to hang onto.

New collectors are advised to familiarize themselves with the post war "Cowboy" era in militaria collecting and particularly figures like Jim Atwood. Much that was sold in the late 1960's as post war parts edged weapons are now sold as authentic sold in the TR era. Atwood had a business relationship with many of the Solingen firms in the mid to late 1960's and they assembled for him Third Reich daggers and swords from parts they had left over in their factories. Not saying the OP's sword is one of these, but E & F Horster were one of the companies mentioned doing this in the biography, "Jim Atwood" by Kenneth Alford (see Page 183).

?

Thanks for the book tip Anderson, btw I found your forum post on this topic - very informative and somewhat scary information... I ordered the book.
    Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2