Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What can you tell me about this Luftwaffe dagger (1st model)?

Article about: This is my first ever Third Reich dagger. I actually won it at a gun auction for \\$199 with no competing bids... were my fellow Americans sleeping or is there anything majorly wrong with it o

Default What can you tell me about this Luftwaffe dagger (1st model)?

This is my first ever Third Reich dagger. I actually won it at a gun auction for $199 with no competing bids... were my fellow Americans sleeping or is there anything majorly wrong with it other than a missing scabbard and quite a bit of patina? Also, is there a variation of 1st model scabbard specific to my dagger to look for in my search so I can match it correctly?

As far as cleaning goes, I haven't touched it and I don't plan to -- I don't mind a rusty blade. Being new to daggers, what amazes me is how sharp these things are. How can I tell if the blade has been sharpened? There are also no markings... anyone have an idea on the manufacturer? And were all 1st model Luftwaffe daggers issued to officers only?

I know I sound like a newbie -- indeed I am! All I can tell you is it's not fake... I hope.

Any insight would be much appreciated! I want to buy a 2nd model next. These daggers are so cool. Thanks a lot!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture What can you tell me about this Luftwaffe dagger (1st model)?   What can you tell me about this Luftwaffe dagger (1st model)?  

What can you tell me about this Luftwaffe dagger (1st model)?   What can you tell me about this Luftwaffe dagger (1st model)?  

What can you tell me about this Luftwaffe dagger (1st model)?   What can you tell me about this Luftwaffe dagger (1st model)?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement What can you tell me about this Luftwaffe dagger (1st model)?
    P
    Many

Is there a producer logo on the blade near the crossguard?....please post it when you find it.

The dagger is an early production 1st Model which has the brass swastika medallions on the pommel and crossguard.
    The dagger is authentic but in poorly kept condition seen in damp basements.

The blade will clean up a little with some simichrome.
    As far as price is concerned..you did ok for just a dagger with no scabbard.

What is the producer ?
    and when you get a chance read through and study by comparison with other 1st Model Luft types...there are many threads on this type.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thanks a lot, Larry! Unfortunately there is no producer logo to be found. I looked near the crossguard and everywhere else but unfortunately I can't find anything. Is this uncommon?

I'll do some reading for sure! :-)

Because of the condition of the already rough blade that isn't too valuable anyway, do you recommend I clean it? Obviously I wouldn't use anything too harsh. Would a microfiber cloth with a little bit of WD-40 be bad for it?

Its not too uncommon but somewhat rare that there is an unknown producer of these daggers and Im used to seeing unknowns on late production 1st model types and not on early production types. The blade may have been added later on..and will welcome other comments concerning this.

For $200 I dont see why not you can clean the blade up a little and would encourage the use of simi chrome first. WD 40 is going for lifting rust off of a blade removed from the crossguard and pommel left to soak for 1 week. I dont think it will be necessary to go that far.

The dagger is original Third Reich period

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Awesome, thanks Larry! Great info.