Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1936 Luger help please

Article about: Hello Hope you can help. I’ve inherited a 1936 marked Mauser luger. I thought that the serial numbers on this model should have a letter suffix after the serial number? Is this true and do

Default 1936 Luger help please

Hello

Hope you can help. I’ve inherited a 1936 marked Mauser luger.

I thought that the serial numbers on this model should have a letter suffix after the serial number? Is this true and do you think the pistol is a genuine example please?

Thank you1936 Luger help please1936 Luger help please1936 Luger help please

the letter suffix is found on the frame next to the serial number below the barrel. Also add images of the other side.

Thanks Rich for your reply. I’ve added more photos. Is the alpha suffix what I’ve highlighted with the red arrow in one of the photos? If it is does all look ok or not please?1936 Luger help please1936 Luger help please1936 Luger help please

Yes, thats the suffice "h". K is the rarest.

And yes your s/42 (designation for Mauser built) is pretty nice. Shame the barrel has some issues on the outside.

How's the bore look?

If you use a piece of white paper, insert it in the receiver area with the receiver pulled back into it's lock position and get a look down the muzzle to the receiver area. You can try to get an image of it if the paper is properly illuminated from over head lighting.

Not certain however what the one stamp is on the safety side, front most stamp. Maybe someone on this forum does and can advise.

?

Looks like a UK deactivation mark, Rich, repeated on the lock hinge (if I understand your question correctly).

Lovely looking Luger... (lots of lovely alliteration there)!
    What a wonderful thing to inherit! I’d be proud to have that one in my collection.
    I’m still searching for a 1916/17 example for a fine holster I’ve had for years!
    Last edited by Kohima; 01-27-2024 at 03:51 PM.

Bummer if it is deactivated.

I have not seen a British deactivation stamp before. I learned something new today; thank you. I would have initially thought a British proof mark for export but then there would be a tonns marks for proof firing and many more Brit stamps.
    I do not encounter many deactivated guns in the US with the exception of drill purpose (DP) Brit guns or Arisaka rifles designated to school purpose (after the rifle was beyond repair).
    The buyer must figure out the worn out US guns on their own for the most part.
    John

Yes the pistol is deactivated it has a certificate supporting that. It’s typical of UK gun laws. Draconian response to murder. As the late Prince Philip, the husband of the late Queen Elizabeth, said when asked about the government’s reaction to a shooting by further restrictions on guns “if you kill somebody with a cricket bat do you ban cricket?” It’s not the gun that kills it’s the person holding it.
    Do you think it’s a genuine luger though and not a reproduction/fake please?

its original, mauser s/42

Thanks Rich, much appreciated

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast