all matching numbers

cheers brocky

?

Default Re: german luger

yes ww1 cheers

Just fantastic!

Looks like a very nice Luger! Thanks for showing.

Regards

?

Default My german luger

Rpost pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture german luger   german luger  

german luger  

A nice Luger, but you need to give it a wipe with an oily rag to stop that rust getting worst.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    A nice Luger, but you need to give it a wipe with an oily rag to stop that rust getting worst.
    Most certainly, in fact do it right now!

Anybody who is in any way acquainted with machinery and tools not just firearms will be disturbed by that horrible brown oxidation build up. Clean it off straight away if you haven't already (these pictures are a shade under 8 years old minimum). As Steve says oil is required to maintain the appearance of steel artifacts whether blued or not. Don't use abrasives unless there is absolutely no alternative and only then start gently with something like Solvol Autosol polish on a toothbruth.
    If you haven't already sorted it (I hope you have) that rust will be established and pitting will have occured. At the very least the finish in the affected areas will have gone.

That is a nice pistol, don't let it deteriorate.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 01-01-2020 at 03:18 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I'd add to this, and suggest wearing gloves whenever handling metal artifacts. The rust on the pistol appears to have built up where it has been handled, on the cocking knob and safety lever, and on the side plate where the finger rests off the trigger. Human skin oils have a detrimental effect on metals, especially where they are left to build up. Wearing gloves mitigates that. At the very least, wipe down the pistol after handling it.

Remember, they aren't making any more of these. We have to look after these artifacts to the best of our ability, which means observing proper preservation techniques.

Regards, B.B.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast