Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

History and info of my luger

Article about: Heya guys, I have a family hand me down from my great grandad, and looking for info on it. it is a 7.65mm luger that he bought in the USA when he was working on the minds, it hasn't got an A

Default History and info of my luger

Heya guys,

I have a family hand me down from my great grandad, and looking for info on it. it is a 7.65mm luger that he bought in the USA when he was working on the minds, it hasn't got an American Eagle on it
    I am after any info on it, history, age, value. we have 2 original magazines for it and some ammo left with it but we have never fired it.

Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture History and info of my luger   History and info of my luger  

History and info of my luger   History and info of my luger  

History and info of my luger  

?

It may be an early American Eagle United States Army Model 1900 Test Eagle Lugers, devoid of the Eagle, they were probably purchased or bought out by another company, there are sites that have the information you seek, P.S. the pictures you have posted are horrible..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture History and info of my luger   History and info of my luger  

I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Are there any markings on top of the chamber?

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

According to my "The Luger Book" by John Walter.
    This is a commercial model. And with it having the Crowned "B" and "U" proof marks makes this one a pre1912 model. In 1911-1912 the "B" was replaced by an "N".
    It looks to be in Very Good condition. I would put some rounds down the pipe and enjoy the family heirloom.

I'm not up on Valuations and this site is not for that purpose. But I'm sure with the info I provided, you should be able to go online and see what they are going for.

And Your Welcome!

Semper Fi
    Phil

amazing thanks, it's in very very good condition, the photos don't do it justice! we haven't wanted to fire it due to the ammo being old and the risk of a hang fire that I don't fancy dealing with! that being said sadly on the licence it is a 9mm and not 7.65 so there is no way of getting new ammo for it.. my plan is to import it to the uk on a section 7 license. it does get stripped and cleaned every few months, wrapped back in a cloth and put back in its box in the safe.

so would it be classed as a 1906 then?
    with matching numbers and condition would it be safe to say that its uncommon or not?
    tia

?

Just curious,
    Most lugers are 9mm. could the license be wrong??
    Since it gets stripped down ,has anybody looked at the chamber? You would see the difference . Smooth to the rifling or you would see the necked down section?

I'll look at my book again for the 1906,
    I only have a DWM 1916 version.

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Certainly don't shoot the old ammo. That has value too. Although I think it will be hard to find old 7.65

I don't study these but it sure is a beauty.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Finding any ammo right now is tough, But .30 luger is 7.65 parabellum.
    If your looking!!

To Robdavis,
    I don't have an answer to the 1906 model you are asking about.
    But there are other's here who have more experience with these.

Semper Fi
    Phil

MAP
    ?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Finding any ammo right now is tough, But .30 luger is 7.65 parabellum.
    If your looking!!
    LoL. Yes. That what I meant "just finding ammo". I couldn't even find a box of 35 Remington for hunting this year.

To RB: I did read somewhere once, that not all imported commercial Lugers we marked with an American Eagle. I however can't fact check that.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

thanks guys it is definitely 7.65mm but the license says 9mm unfortunately so that will be my next hurdle thanks to the South African government. as far as we know it was part of the test batch for testing by the American police before they settled on the 38special and sold off at auction, where my great grandad picked it up and had it as personal protection on the mines before moving to SA and handing it to my gran, then dad and now me. as much as I'd love to fire it I don't want to risk a hang fire, damaging it or destroying it.
    when looking down the barrel in-between the rifling is pitting caused by the acidity of the original ammo.
    all the serial numbers are matching too.

on a side note why weren't all lugers marked with DWM?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast