Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Identify this Luger

Article about: I am still relatively inexperienced on this forum, so if I’m doing something wrong let me know. My father acquired this Luger many years ago and never knew anything about it. I don’t know mu

Default Identify this Luger

I am still relatively inexperienced on this forum, so if I’m doing something wrong let me know. My father acquired this Luger many years ago and never knew anything about it. I don’t know much about it either, so here I am. Attached are some photos of all the markings (that I could easily find). If anyone could tell me anything about it that would be awesome! Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identify this Luger   Identify this Luger  

Identify this Luger   Identify this Luger  

Identify this Luger  

?

Well if you type S/42 luger in the advance search feature that is top right of the forum you will find similar questions.
    Your is a Mauser made (S/42) in 1937, Looks like most of the parts match. But it also looks like british/nitro proof marks on the barrel. I'll leave that one to the Gent's across the pond.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Last edited by AZPhil; 01-14-2019 at 06:02 AM.

So is it a German or British Luger? My dad got it for $200. Would you say it was a good deal?

The British proof marks indicate it was brought into Britain and sold commercially at some point. It is of pre-war German manufacture, and appears to be fully matching with the exception of the side plate. Are there any markings on the base of the magazine, or is the base plate made of wood?

Regards, B.B.

It is a German made Luger which has been put together from parts at some point. I am not sure on the British proofs. I am ASSuming they are export markings. $200 was a fair price if bought last month but not 10 years ago. It is a shooter and not collector. Have you shot it yet?
    John

He got it about 5 years ago. The magazine is not original. I have shot it a couple times, at least until the right side grip snapped. Still looking for replacements. Thanks for the help!

The conclusion of fully matching may be a bit premature for my comfort. A pic of the front of the frame and barrel markings in addition to the British proof markings would help. The numbers do match on the barrel but I cannot see a proof marking. There is also a variance in the 4 marking that I cannot make out. Open or closed 4 markings make a difference. A well worn or repro right grip is not hard to find. I am sure I have a couple of worn right side grips panels if you need. The small parts are in transition between blued and strawed during this time frame and a more advance collector would have to comment. The price is good IMHO if the bore is not too pitted. Shoot be a good shooter if the bore is okay. All comments are made as student and not the teacher.
    John
    John