Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luger 1937

Article about: Hi guys, I'm looking for opinions on my 1937 S/42. It has all matching numbers except the mag but I'm puzzled as to why the barrel doesn't have the serial number, just a crown over N and the

Default Luger 1937

Hi guys,
    I'm looking for opinions on my 1937 S/42. It has all matching numbers except the mag but I'm puzzled as to why the barrel doesn't have the serial number, just a crown over N and the deactivation mark. On the left side of the main body there are two marks with the same crown but a U underneath. The guy who sold it to me thinks it might have been re-blued but I've had a look with a maglight and it shows up brown through the blue so I'm not sure it has been re-blued but it doesn't seem to have much wear on the high points, no bright metal as such. I think the grips may be post war, they are not totally black, they have brownish flecks here and there. There is a strange mark below the take down lever, anyone know if it's significant?
    Any help or info would be much appreciated, thank you in advance. I'm not sure I've attached the photos correctly but here's hoping!
    Dave
    Luger 1937Luger 1937Luger 1937Luger 1937Luger 1937Luger 1937Luger 1937Luger 1937Luger 1937

The pistol carries East German proof marks, and it is likely that the barrel has been changed when refurbished for possible Volkspolizei use... this would explain why the barrel only has the East German Nitro proof mark and no serial number. The area which has had a symbol ground out below the takedown catch is where you would usually expect to find the VOPO mark, these were often removed after the east/west reunification, before being sold on to collectors. A very nice pistol which has served through WW2, and the resulting break-up of Germany following 1945.

Cheers,
    Steve

Thanks very much for the info Steve. So, I guess the grips are East German replacements also then? Would they have originally been wooden? Would you replace them with originals from the period?
    Do you think the East German refurbishments devalue it at all?
    Apologies for all those questions at once, I just find it all fascinating.
    Dave

MAP
    ?

IMHO....With the many lives (history) this pistol has had, I would leave the grips as they were. This (I think) is the final "official" configuration. This will never be a virgin 1937 pistol again so no use spending the money for wood grips.

Just my opinion. Enjoy it for what it is.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Leave the gun exactly how it is and don't be tempted to change the East German grips. As for value, it is worth what someone is willing to pay. VOPO guns don't turn up that often, and it was used in a very interesting period of post-war German history.

Cheers,
    Steve

Very good points Map and Steve, I entirely agree now you've pointed that out. I had wondered whether someone had put the black grips on to pass it off as a black widow but thanks to your insights I see that's probably not the case. I will leave it as is, I'm happy with that. Thanks guys!
    Dave