Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Luger P08 - byf 42

Article about: Hello folks. There comes a time in every militaria collector's life where he finally lands that prized catch, that item he's been after for seemingly forever. And there's no feeling quite li

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Well done BB. That's probably "as good as it gets" in the de-activated UK.
    Thought I'd get one now, with the updated EU deactivation spec looming. This is one Luger that won't be turned into a paperweight!

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    It's my understanding that the 'Black Widow' Luger is nothing more than a marketing ploy. As I understand it, they were fitted with black grips as an economic measure. A gentleman who imported a quantity of them into the US invented the 'Black Widow' moniker to drive sales. Doesn't make them any less aesthetically pleasing, but does give some dealers an excuse to drive up the price.

As for the price of deact Lugers, this one set me back just over £1100, which is about what you'll pay for a good matching example. Non-matching ones can be had for significantly less.

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. This is one piece I'll cherish above all else, second only to the stuff that came from my own family.

B.B.
    Thanks Brodie for the info on deactivated Luger prices in the UK.. Yes, I have heard that story as well. As long as both options are original, it is up to the buyer as to what intrigues them!

Good Luger there! A plain black plastic base fxo magazine would be correct for a byf 42 example.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luger P08 - byf 42  

Quote by lithgow View Post
    Good Luger there! A plain black plastic base fxo magazine would be correct for a byf 42 example.
    Interesting to know. Will have to make do with the one it has, unfortunately. The mag has a cut in the top allowing it to fit past the pin across the well, so a 'normal' magazine won't fit it. I will probably be looking for a spare magazine at the big shows in the summer, to go with the holster I'm planning on buying.

B.B.

Congratulations on this amazing new addition to your collection. Deactivated or not this is a beautiful example. I can remember when I first got my Luger, its an experience you'll never forget. Owning one of the worlds most iconic handguns is truly something special.

Best regards- Jarret

Luger P08 - byf 42Luger P08 - byf 42

Do lugers have internal serial numbered parts as a P38 does? I am asking, because if they are deactivated and unable to be broken down - can you ever 100% know that they are all numbers matching?

Nick

That's a nice example, Jarret. What's the maker and date on yours?

Quote by nbushyager View Post
    Do lugers have internal serial numbered parts as a P38 does? I am asking, because if they are deactivated and unable to be broken down - can you ever 100% know that they are all numbers matching?

Nick
    It can't be stripped down anymore, so of course there's no way to be one hundred percent sure. But if all the external numbers match, it's a good sign that the pistol has never been messed with. I'd be very, very surprised if any of the internal components didn't match.

Is anyone aware of a way to manually lock open the mechanism? The internal holdopen doesn't function as a result of the deactivation.

B.B.

?

Beautiful Luger you have there Brodie!!! Definately will have to get one for my collection. Waiting for a cyq coded P38 which is currently at the proof house.

Quote by JimMcR View Post
    Beautiful Luger you have there Brodie!!! Definately will have to get one for my collection. Waiting for a cyq coded P38 which is currently at the proof house.
    The Spreewerk pistols are a little rougher around the edges, but they're still pieces of history. Here's my one. Serial number dates it to July 1944 production. It's been refinished, but it still looks the part.

Luger P08 - byf 42

B.B.

Hello BB,
    A lovely looking P08, a favourite of mine also. I have a byf 41 with black Bakelite grips, Waa655 takedown tool, hard shell holster, and a couple of fxo spare mags. The Portugeses contract started post 149m. Rask Antik is a good place for Luger mags, and a good deal cheaper that UK dealers. Henrick the owners first language is most definitely not English, but you get there in the end!
    Jonathan.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast