Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My $500 Luger - will it blow up?

Article about: I've always wanted a Luger but they've always been out of my price range, so of course when I saw this crappy one for sale, I was interested! It's a DWM. Anyone have an idea on the year? If

Default My $500 Luger - will it blow up?

I've always wanted a Luger but they've always been out of my price range, so of course when I saw this crappy one for sale, I was interested! It's a DWM. Anyone have an idea on the year? If there ever was a year inscribed, it's been long since, well... corroded away, haha.

I ended up paying $481 for it, which in my opinion was insanely risky because the seller hadn't touched it and didn't know what parts or work it needed -- sold as-is/for parts. I had NO idea Luger components were so expensive, but I lucked out because it needed nothing more than what was obvious from the pics the seller provided -- just a side plate and locking bolt. The side plate the gun currently has is repro that I blued but once I find a corroded original side plate, I may consider swapping haha. I found an original P08 locking bolt on eBay. Everything else appears to be numbers-matching (that I can read), but one of the grips is a different color... whatever, I just want to shoot a Luger haha.

When I bought this gun, I thought it could have been a dug-up relic, but after I field stripped it and noticed no signs of dirt, I changed my mind and leaned more toward it was just stored in a poor damp environment. When left sitting forever, the gun had its safety on -- you can tell this by the corrosion under the safety lever that I'll include a pic of. What do you think? Why is the condition so bad?

The inside of the gun was surprisingly clean and everything was free except for the mainspring which I had to bomb with WD-40 to liberate. Everything inside was as dry as a bone too so I oiled it up. The Luger came with a few mags but they all have problems and at least one I think is repro.

When I went to my FFL dealer to pick it up, my dealer was being very snarky and said I'm in for a world of headaches dealing with this gun, but so far, so good! Hardly any work at all... altogether, including my FFL transfer fee, shipping, and the two parts I had to pick up to make this Luger complete, I have less than $600 in it which may seem like a lot if you're bothered by cosmetics, but I just wanted a Luger haha. If it works, I'm happy! The rifling is nothing to brag about but I think it'll do! I just don't want anything to explode.

Today I'm going to shoot it for the first time.

I will report back to you all if I still have my right hand.

My 0 Luger - will it blow up?

This is the first time I've handled a Luger. They are bigger than I imagined, and actually cooler than I imaged too.

We will see if I change my mind if I get shrapnel in my face soon. Wish me luck!

?

Wow, She does look like she was rode hard and put away wet.

I don't think I would try and shoot that.
    The corrosion above the chamber is significant and that area is where the pressure will be the greatest!!!!

Around 34,100 psi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But if you do shoot it...…. I would secure it in a device that you could trigger it from a distance and not risk any personal injury/damage from the fragments when it explodes. There goes your "have less than $600"

Video it!!!!!

But this is just my 2 centavos on the subject and wait to hear other's on this subject.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Judging by the condition i personally would guess it is ground - or atleast battlefield found. There is some deep pitting and the rust may have been removed chemically? I have a K98k which is a bit more gone then your Luger, but genereally reminds me of yours. Like on your Luger one side is far more gone then the other, making me believe that this side was exposed to the elements, while the other was somehow more protected, and thus survived much better.

I have no experience with shooting guns... but as said before if you choose to, be careful and do it wth enough safety measures.

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    Wow, She does look like she was rode hard and put away wet.

I don't think I would try and shoot that.
    The corrosion above the chamber is significant and that area is where the pressure will be the greatest!!!!

Around 34,100 psi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But if you do shoot it...…. I would secure it in a device that you could trigger it from a distance and not risk any personal damage from the fragments when it explodes. There goes your "Just less than $600"

Video it!!!!!

But this is just my 2 centavos on the subject and wait to hear other's on this subject.

Semper Fi
    Phil
    Rather you than me mate!

Of course my experience of firearms is entirely with in-service, well maintained and controlled weapons so what do I know?

However, you couldn't pay me to shoot that. There is no way you can assess weakness or damage at metalurgical level caused by corrosion without X-ray equipment and then you cannot be sure it is safe.
    Fine if you feel that a bloody stump where you hand used to be is kind of cool and stylish looking, like a dualling scar but I would not be queuing up for that!

Would go down well on YouTube though Maybe the Gun Dealer knew something

"Stand by stand by, firing now" No wait, that's the demolitions drill!

Stay safe

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I wouldn't risk firing it.. Too much pitting and as Phil pointed out the pressure could cause a catastrophic failure.

I have a captured MAS 36 rifle from Vietnam. There is a small bulge in the barrel, that is enough for me to not even consider risking a barrel explosion.

You really should not risk losing life or limb just because you want to shoot a luger..

When I was in the service I had a M60 machine gun triple feed causing the feed tray cover to explode and the blowback nearly cost me my vision. I suffered powder burns on my face and was very lucky not have been injured more severely...

Tread carefully..

Smitty

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    I wouldn't risk firing it.. Too much pitting and as Phil pointed out the pressure could cause a catastrophic failure.

I have a captured MAS 36 rifle from Vietnam. There is a small bulge in the barrel, that is enough for me to not even consider risking a barrel explosion.

You really should not risk losing life or limb just because you want to shoot a luger..

When I was in the service I had a M60 machine gun triple feed causing the feed tray cover to explode and the blowback nearly cost me my vision. I suffered powder burns on my face and was very lucky not have been injured more severely...

Tread carefully..

Smitty
    Yes dramas happen with the most well maintained gear. We occasionally would get a "run away" with an improperly (gas) balanced GPMG (Brit version of the FN MAG) and the only solution is to either snap off the belt (tricky when the bastard is in full flight!) or just control the gun in a down range position until the belt is expended. That is scary but doesn't involve an explosion.

I attended an incident in Germany when the Rarden cannon in a Warrior MICV had a hangfire. The gunner did not correctly follow the drill and opened the breech just as the round went off. Not pleasant. This was an ammunition fault in a highly maintained system but the point is that with firearms etc if you get it wrong it bloody well makes your eyes water!!

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

You should have a qualified gunsmith evaluate the pistol before you try firing it. Asking people on a forum to assess the gun from pictures is not going to give you reliable results.

Quote by Chrish124 View Post
    You should have a qualified gunsmith evaluate the pistol before you try firing it. Asking people on a forum to assess the gun from pictures is not going to give you reliable results.
    Exactly, all you can see in the pictures is a very dodgy prospect and can only wisely err on the side of caution!

But, notice nobody is saying "yes mate, that's what to do. You get some rounds down range"

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-06-2020 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Typo

You guys are right -- if anyone reading this is thinking about firing their gun that is as corroded as mine, consult with a gunsmith/expert first in person to inspect the condition. Better safe than sorry! I consulted with a few people in person who gave me the green light, but none were experts so don't be influenced by anyone who tries to be. I just got done firing it and it did very well, no complaints, no unexpected explosions, but as I was looking behind a closed-face motorcycle helmet wearing pigskin gloves holding a 100-year-old corroded pistol, I thought what am I doing...

On the shelf it goes, and stays! I appreciate everyone's thoughts and concerns, thank you!

Quote by Adravor View Post
    Judging by the condition i personally would guess it is ground - or atleast battlefield found. There is some deep pitting and the rust may have been removed chemically? I have a K98k which is a bit more gone then your Luger, but genereally reminds me of yours. Like on your Luger one side is far more gone then the other, making me believe that this side was exposed to the elements, while the other was somehow more protected, and thus survived much better.
    Great assessment, that is very possible and most likely.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast