Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Russian anomally

Article about: I am looking at a nice (well, nice finish and condition) Luger, which is an obvious Russian capture piece. I own a 43 P-38, which I got from a friend who made many trips to Russia to purchas

Default Russian anomally

I am looking at a nice (well, nice finish and condition) Luger, which is an obvious Russian capture piece. I own a 43 P-38, which I got from a friend who made many trips to Russia to purchase and import WWII weapons into this country, in the 90s. It was one that escaped the blue/black dip, maintaining it's original finish. The import stamp was made across the open end of the magazine well, and is looks like scratches. The only thing that gives away it's provenance is the ubiquitous Russian Army crossed rifle ownership stamp, on the left side of the frame.
    On this Luger, I was able to take it apart, and examine it, and snap pictures. It has NO German maker marks nor waffenamts...anywhere. There are some part numbers, but those are few, and, of course, non matching. There are a couple of letters and circled numbers (5) on the magazine, the only variation on maker marks that survived the grinding wheel. There is even Cyrillic lettering at the safety lever location. Nothing like that was done with my P-38.
    I have a 1917 Luger, and the difference is night and day. I understand the Russian need for marking captured material...most everyone did...and the dipping, but grinding away all maker info. Was this perhaps some postwar efforts at de-nazification?
    Could this be a batch Lugers made by the Russians? Not likely, given a war economy...
    Has anyone aver seen such a thing done with Lugers, or other captures? Also, what would be a Luger like this be worth? It almost seems like stuff that we received for SOG in Vietnam...deniable weapons and gear. But then, who would not know a Luger?!
    Any answers and expert opinions are welcome. Thank you.

Russian anomallyRussian anomallyRussian anomallyRussian anomallyRussian anomallyRussian anomallyRussian anomally

Very interesting... I've never seen anything like it.

I believe the frame is from a model 1908 Bulgarian Luger.

?

The Cyrillic appears to be Imperial period.. my first thought - but the Bulgarian connection makes sense (Cyrillic was a Bulgarian invention after all)!

Lovely example.

I would agree with Bulgarian 1908 contract Luger. They saw much hard use.
    This was has been scrubbed very deep during the refinish process. Would have had the Bulgarian crest on the Toggle and DWM on the receiver. Not near as many marked parts as later Lugers. The grips are not original to the gun. I am not able to comment on mag. There was approximately 15,000 DWM Lugers for the Bulgarian contract according to my research. Just my understanding and opinion and am happy to be corrected.
    John

Rescue, Thank you! I did not even think of looking into the Cryillic lettering. The lack of specific markings is offset a bit by the fact that there are no Russian Army stamps or import marks. I policed it up and used it to trade off to my brother on a debt, so I came out ahead of the game.
    The fire engine is cool.