Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advice on EKII 1914 LW

Article about: Gentlemen, I am on the verge of buying this EKII, with maker’s mark LW - which seems to be an unknown, from the mentions I have found here, thus far (though I continue to search). I have b

?

Default Advice on EKII 1914 LW

Gentlemen,
    I am on the verge of buying this EKII, with maker’s mark LW - which seems to be an unknown, from the mentions I have found here, thus far (though I continue to search).

I have been looking for a good ‘stand-alone’ example of the EKII, purely to compliment my German infantryman collection, and have no interest in expanding upon this single, representative example. In short, would this be a good choice?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Advice on EKII 1914 LW   Advice on EKII 1914 LW  

Advice on EKII 1914 LW   Advice on EKII 1914 LW  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Advice on EKII 1914 LW
    P
    Many

?

It's an original piece with nice patina on the frames. If it's a single medal you want just as an example, I don't believe a maker will make any difference. You just want an original in good condition and you have one here.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Adrian is correct,
    That is a perfectly fine example of 1914 2nd class cross.

LW is thought to be Louis Werner of Berlin however I don't know if that
    has ever been confirmed.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

That is indeed a very good example of a 1914 EKII and will compliment your collection very well indeed.

Wilko

?

Thank you very much for your sage advice, Gentlemen.
    I’ve just placed the order.

My very best regards,
    Rob

It was a little more than I wanted to pay for an EKII (not being a medal man), but as you all suggest, if you’re only going to have one, it might as well be a good one!

P.S: I shall add new images when it arrives!
    (Never thought I would be so keen to get a medal... Oh, no)!
    Last edited by Kohima; 04-17-2023 at 05:12 PM.

?

At the height of the Great War, it took an average 2-3 days for a parcel to travel from Blighty to the frontline trenches of the Western Front.

Roll forward 100 years: I sent the payment on the 15th of this month. It was eventually posted on the 19th, and finally arrived on the 27th.
    A frustrating wait, but still, I’m very pleased with my EKII and I have you gentlemen to thank for it. Thank you for so kindly sharing your experience and advice.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Advice on EKII 1914 LW   Advice on EKII 1914 LW  

Advice on EKII 1914 LW   Advice on EKII 1914 LW  

Advice on EKII 1914 LW  

?

By the way, the citation and cross are not directly related, but compliment one another on display.

I found mention of a Musketier Wilhelm Jacobsen having been killed on the 13th June 1918, but cannot be sure this is the same man.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Gentlemen,
    I am on the verge of buying this EKII, with maker’s mark LW - which seems to be an unknown...
    Luis Werner ?

?

So Greg (Chopperman) tells me - though with a different spelling.
    Louis or Luis...

It strikes me that, with medal detached, it’s an enormous ribbon to wear on its own, and it’s nice that the medal is properly centred on this example, rather than being oddly off-set like many.

I really like the regular patina to the frame of this one; not blotchy or uneven, like most seem to be, and the core has just the right amount of handling polish to the raised areas.
    If I’m extra-picky, a slightly cleaner ribbon would be preferable, but, on balance, I wouldn’t change a thing.

?

If you've got a cross as nicely patinated as that, you don't want a cleaner ribbon. This set just looks, well..... right.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast