MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Another EK11

Article about: This is the last of my recent purchases on eBay Germany... a very nice untouched EK11 with two Urkunde. The intention is to frame the medal with at least one of the certificates, but I'm uns

Default Another EK11

This is the last of my recent purchases on eBay Germany... a very nice untouched EK11 with two Urkunde. The intention is to frame the medal with at least one of the certificates, but I'm unsure which one to use. The seller indicated that both of them belonged to the medal, but that surely can't be so. The maker's mark on the ring appears to be 'WIIM', possibly 'H. R. Wilm?' The staining on the medal is just dirt. I've included an extra picture for Chopperman - he wanted to see my bangle next to an EK... click on images (twice) to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Another EK11Another EK11Another EK11Another EK11Another EK11Another EK11

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Another EK11
    P
    Many

Very nice Steve, the maker mark is Wilm, H.J. Wilm, Hof- und Silberschmiede, Berlin!...

Thanks for the info Gunny. And by the way... that bunker by the railway line is much more visible now that they have started work on Chapleford railway station.

Very nice iron cross, I would use first urkunde to frame it with that cross.
    Best regards,
    Franko

Harry,

What a nice grouping! I love the patina on your cross and I'm in agreement with Franko to have the items framed.

Well Done!

Joel
    Last edited by buellmeister; 02-02-2018 at 10:20 PM.

Nice one steve,

Hard to resist these aren't they?

It is not unheard of for two certificates to be issued with one medal. Usually it would be a "Zweitschrift" (think that is correct?) ie a duplicate normally because the original was lost but I don't think this is a "duplicate" because of the ornate style. More likley I think that the plain one is the official document from higher formation and the decorative one is a regimental affectation. I am afraid I cannot offer proof of my assertion but this is just what I have gleaned over the years. A similar practice seems to have been followed during the TR period and I have seen a preliminary certificate, duplicate and decorative certificate all for one award.

Personally I would use the decorative one for framing. As for the medal itself I would be inclined to brush off the dirt maybe with a little soapy water (total drying is crucial of course because of the iron core) thus removing the crud but not any of the patina. I find this generally a good policy because the muck is not only unsightly and is contamination rather than the patina of age but you don't really know what it is and the harm it might cause if it is not totally inert.

Don't forget to post a pic of the frame!

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-02-2018 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Dry it with a hair dryer after washing and you can be sure to get rid of all the damp.

Steve,
    That's a nice cross and documents grouping. I hope you will post pictures of your
    finished display once you get it all framed up.

Thanks for the additional picture
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Steve,

The 'Fuehrungszeugnis' is something like a good conduct certificate and is named to Oberjaeger Hans Seidenzahl of the 7th Jaeger Bn. in Bueckeburg. Unfortunately I can't read the squiggly lines properly at the bottom.

The iron cross certificate is named to Reservist Phillip Mueller. Inf. Leib-Regiment 117.

I know those fancy, decorative certificates are faked a lot and hope your one is a good one.

Tony

Quote by ynot View Post
    Steve,

The 'Fuehrungszeugnis' is something like a good conduct certificate and is named to Oberjaeger Hans Seidenzahl of the 7th Jaeger Bn. in Bueckeburg. Unfortunately I can't read the squiggly lines properly at the bottom.

The iron cross certificate is named to Reservist Phillip Mueller. Inf. Leib-Regiment 117.

I know those fancy, decorative certificates are faked a lot and hope your one is a good one.

Tony
    Hahaha!

Well spotted, You are dead right of course! I never even read the plain document I just accepted it as being of the same purpose and answered the question about duplicate documents.

Not even the same recipient D'Oh!! That will teach me to RTFQ

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast