Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse 1914 S&L 4 WW2 Frame

Article about: Hi All, This mm 4 EK2 I have owned for a long time, probably bought it in the early days of online auctions. Rearanging and discribing my items, I was exceptionally bored and started to weig

Default Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse 1914 S&L 4 WW2 Frame

Hi All,

This mm 4 EK2 I have owned for a long time, probably bought it in the early days of online auctions. Rearanging and discribing my items, I was exceptionally bored and started to weigh all my crosses for fun and reference. I was surprised by the difference in weight between a the WW2 1939 $&L and this WW2 1914 S&L. The 1914 cross just weighs 15,28 grams, converting this to a 0,539 oz. Yes, I used an online converter. Although the simple scale also speaks UK/US English.

I wonder if this 1914 S&L is a legit WW2 era production, or is this one maybe a postwar S&L? I don't have much experience with Imperial crosses, but I guess I have to start somewhere.
    The overall appearance of the cross is somewhat flimsy, and the silver of the frame looks, I don't know, somewhat cheaper than my familiar WW2 S&L crosses.
    I am interested in your observations!

Enjoy your weekend,
    Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse 1914 S&L 4 WW2 Frame   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse 1914 S&L 4 WW2 Frame  

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse 1914 S&L 4 WW2 Frame   Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse 1914 S&L 4 WW2 Frame  

Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse 1914 S&L 4 WW2 Frame  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Eisernes Kreuz 2. Klasse 1914 S&L 4 WW2 Frame
    P
    Many

I think that your cross is OK. I don't have one of these of my own to compare
    against so I had to reach out for some help on this one.

S-L had a few variations in their cores and frames. Some weighed as little as
    14.6 gms and as high as 16.7 gms. The example that I saw that most closely
    resembles yours weighed in at 14.6 gms but had a smaller ribbon ring. That
    would probably explain why yours is just slightly heavier.

Sorry for the delay but I've been working overtime and have not been able to
    look in here as often as I should.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 04-23-2024 at 01:27 PM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your time and observations, highly appreciated. No need to apologize, time is scarce and I also want to visit more often than I actually do.

I am happy the cross seems to be from the right era. When I bought it, I don't think I was aware of this maker being (also) a postwar producer, although this was known quite broadly, I guess.

Thanks again for your trouble!
    Martin

I'm glad i could help.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

I don't have a S&L Imperial in my collection. Looking at this maybe I should re-think that.

Ken