Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Impressive Saxony medal group. Attributed but is it what it seems?

Article about: Hello Here is an impressive group of awards attributed to Otto Körner (10 May 1868 in Tuttendorf, Saxony - 16 Dec 1950 Gelnhausen, Hesse). They have been together on the bar for a long time

Default Impressive Saxony medal group. Attributed but is it what it seems?

Hello

Here is an impressive group of awards attributed to Otto Körner (10 May 1868 in Tuttendorf, Saxony - 16 Dec 1950 Gelnhausen, Hesse). Obviously the group was mounted post 1934 but is it contemporary to that era? They have been together on the bar for a long time but perhaps it is a made up group!

I believe that he was the Zahlmeister with Schutztruppe in German East Africa 1892-1901. I have seen a gift from the Schutztruppe thanking him for his service during these dates. But most of the awards are from WW1 (I think). So he was 24 years old when he went to East Africa, 33 when he left and 46 when WW1 started.

I'm trying to find out about his service in WW1 because there are three awards in this group that suggest very active front line activity with merit and bravery awards during WW1: EK2, Saxony OM with Swords & Saxony Albert Order with Swords. Does this suggest that he was not a Zahlmeister in WW1 but a junior officer?

I also have a set of minis which are also attributed to Otto Körner that consist of Prussian Order of the Crown, Colonial Medal, Jubilee Medal and a Prussian 15 year Long Service Cross! These must date from the early 1900s. Perhaps they are not Otto Körner's mini medals.

I have contacted the Saxony Archives in Dresden and am awaiting their reply. I hope they can help or suggest a researcher if they won't help. I also need to find him in one or more annual volumes from WW1 era of the Rangliste der Königlich Preußischen Armee. I already know that he is not listed a Zahlmeister with Schutztruppe in 1914. So what was he doing then?

In the Imperial German Army in the late 19thC was Zahlmeister a permanent position that an individual held throughout their career or was it an appointment like Adjutant?

Work to be done. Any advice most welcome.

Medals are:

Iron Cross 2nd Class - conferred upon military personnel who performed a single act of bravery in the face of the enemy or acted in a way that went above and beyond the call of duty.

Saxony Order of Merit, Knight's Cross 2nd Class with Swords - A civil order but in this case awarded with crossed swords to recognise recipients for military merit and service.

Saxony Albert Order, Knight's Cross 2nd Class with Swords - An award of Swords indicated a recipient's bravery in wartime. This grade was awarded to first lieutenants and lieutenants.

Honour Cross for Combatants

Prussian Royal Order of the Crown, 4th Class

Saxon 25 year Long Service Award for Officers

Colonial Medal with the clasps "German East Africa 1896" and "German East Africa 1900”

Prussian Jubilee Medal of 1897

Austrian Merit Cross in Gold with Crown
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Impressive Saxony medal group. Attributed but is it what it seems?   Impressive Saxony medal group. Attributed but is it what it seems?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Impressive Saxony medal group. Attributed but is it what it seems?
    P
    Many

It's an impressive looking bar.
    However I'm no help when it comes to knowing if everything is right with it.
    The mini chain puzzles me. Of all those awards, I find it strange that he picked those 4.

Being unofficial and really just a vanity item, he could pick and choose what ever medals
    he was entitled to
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hi Chopperman, my take on the mini bar is that it is pre WW1. Either never updated it post WW1 or had another made that is elsewhere.

That means he had 25 years in before winning the Ek2 and was still active in 1934
    which was when the Hindenberg cross came int being.
    gregM

myself around.

Exactly. He was 46 when WW1 started. Born 1868 - died 1950. I need to find some reference to him in the Army lists of the time. Looking on line. The mini long service cross is 15 years which makes sense for pre WW1. Also as he was with Colonial troops, Imperial German Troops, so the Prussian LS cross. Then sometime before WW1 back to Saxony so Saxon decorations in WW1.

Interesting career.
    gregM

myself around.

Can you post better photos of both obverse and reverse? I would like to see closeups of the battle clasps on the Colonial medal, as well as the construction of the reverse of the bar.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    It's an impressive looking bar.
    However I'm no help when it comes to knowing if everything is right with it.
    The mini chain puzzles me. Of all those awards, I find it strange that he picked those 4.

Being unofficial and really just a vanity item, he could pick and choose what ever medals
    he was entitled to
    Just a hypothesis, but I'd say those (chained medallions) were the first-four decorations which were awarded to him.