Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Scary new fake 1870s

Article about: It has come to our attention that over the last year, someone has been making fake 1870 iron crosses that are so that they fooled at lot of long time collectors. This fake has been named the

Default Scary new fake 1870s

It has come to our attention that over the last year, someone has
    been making fake 1870 iron crosses that are so good that they fooled
    at lot of long time collectors.

This fake has been named the Type22 fake. --- 2022 being when
    they first appeared. Once studied they can be spotted but someone
    taking just a quick glance at these will be easily fooled.

Trevor Ristow has written a great article describing these in much better detail
    than I ever could and I am posting it here with his permission.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Scary new fake 1870s   Scary new fake 1870s  

Scary new fake 1870s   Scary new fake 1870s  

Last edited by rbminis; 12-29-2023 at 02:27 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Scary new fake 1870s
    P
    Many

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Scary new fake 1870s   Scary new fake 1870s  

Scary new fake 1870s   Scary new fake 1870s  

gregM

myself around.

----

gregM

myself around.

frightening when you consider the sort of money people have to spend on these things. Thanks for posting Greg.

Agreed, thanks Greg for bringing this 'situation' to our attention. I have been following the discussion at SDA and it is certainly rocking the establishment. I think Imperial collecting is undergoing a massive attack in terms of high level fakery, which will ultimately ruin the hobby, just as Third Reich collecting was many years ago.

Thanks for posting the article here Greg! Once I started reading I couldn’t stop. I had never realised how high a price some crosses could command. The whole saga reminds me somewhat of the champagne rune saga from a few years ago with the SS decals, and like that situation, I’m sure we haven’t heard the end of this one.

Highly alarming development for collectors and even more reason for places like War Relic Forum which give buyers a place where experts (like Greg, Andy & others) can give free advice and save the novice from making a pricey mistake. Well worth the moderate membership fee.

Greg,

Thank you for posting this article. It certainly will pay dividends with saving you valuable time and of course, large sums of money!

Thank you again!

Joel

Worth pinning this thread Greg...ask Andy or Michael to pin it
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Yeah it figures! Thanks for bringing to our attention. Small wonder many are afraid to enter the collecting hobby with the fakery going on out there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast