Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Stein pickup help please

Article about: Hi everyone, i picked this up today at a car boot sale and have been told its origional and also been told its a copy any comment welcome please, picked up for a good price so not really bot

Default Stein pickup help please

Hi everyone, i picked this up today at a car boot sale and have been told its origional and also been told its a copy any comment welcome please, picked up for a good price so not really bothered either way ,
    thanks for your time
    Ronnie

- - Updated - -

and a couple more
    cheers Ronnie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stein pickup help please   Stein pickup help please  

Stein pickup help please   Stein pickup help please  

Stein pickup help please   Stein pickup help please  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stein pickup help please
    P
    Many

Default Re: Stein pickup help please

Not too keen on the pewter work on this one-especially the hinge. The fixture of the eagle on the lid also looks much too low quality for a regimental stein of the period.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

should the pewter look more like this do you think,
    cheers Ronnie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stein pickup help please  

Notice the difference in polish and finish on the cherub stein when compared to the regimental and especially so to the quality of the hinge. The ball finial is on the lid where you can hardly even make out where it's attached to it, whereas the eagle on the regimental is on a clumsy type of block base and is probably attached with an inner bolt.
    William

Just found this one on a military site, hells bells look a the price...................win for me

Reproduction stein named to Gem. Moser of the Luftsschiffer -Bataillon - Munchen -1910. This ½ L porcelain stein features various scenes depicting a German airfield including the Graf Zepplin. The unit's roster is imprinted on the front along with the state colors of Bayern and two officers. The bottom reveal a lithophane with a soldier and his sweetheart. The lid has a lion on the thumlift and the imperial eagle on the top. This stein makes a great display piece. $325.nd
    Attached Images Attached Images Stein pickup help please 

Ah! So, it's a Repro, but an Expensive one? Decent! It looks good on the shelf,at least!
    William

Think i have done ok there then would you say thanks very much for your help i only paid £30.00 UK

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    Ah! So, it's a Repro, but an Expensive one? Decent! It looks good on the shelf,at least!
    It would look even better filled to the brim with ice cold, frothing 'Herfy', condensation running down the side so that it squeaks when you run your finger down it.......Yeah baby!

Great catch Ronnie, There's a website specifically about these modern repro steins, including prices, and I know they don't come cheap!

Cheers, Ned.
    Attached Images Attached Images Stein pickup help please 
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

?

I hate to break it to you, but as a stein collector I can tell you that it is not worth $325. This is a common reproduction which sells on ebay for around $75. Real reservist steins go anywhere from $200-$10,000 depending on the rarity of the regiment.