Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Unusual 1870 EK1 with Jubilee Clasp/Spange

Article about: Greetings, Friends... While browsing online Auctions this morning, I encountered this highly unusual 1870 EK1 with Jubilee Clasp... I thought it was unique and interesting enough to share...

Default Unusual 1870 EK1 with Jubilee Clasp/Spange

Greetings, Friends...
    While browsing online Auctions this morning, I encountered this highly unusual 1870 EK1 with Jubilee Clasp...
    I thought it was unique and interesting enough to share...As I've never seen anything like this before and my knowledge of 1870 EKs is limited at best, I can't determine if it's original or not, btw...
    -Glenn-
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unusual 1870 EK1 with Jubilee Clasp/Spange   Unusual 1870 EK1 with Jubilee Clasp/Spange  

Unusual 1870 EK1 with Jubilee Clasp/Spange   Unusual 1870 EK1 with Jubilee Clasp/Spange  

Unusual 1870 EK1 with Jubilee Clasp/Spange   Unusual 1870 EK1 with Jubilee Clasp/Spange  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unusual 1870 EK1 with Jubilee Clasp/Spange
    P
    Many

It certainly does look unusual. The cross and the clasp seem to be by different manufacturers and the whole thing seems to have been assembled at different times. Hopefully Greg will be along shortly to give us his expert opinion on this item

Hi Glenn,
    It really is a cool looking piece. Too bad that it is someone's home craft project.
    All three pieces are fake.

S-W never made a 1870 Ek1. This particular one is a fake commonly called
    the "club" fake. Named for the Ebay dealer who has has been selling fake Eks
    for years.

The oaks are the same san-serif style that is usually found with the "9th bead
    fake" 1870 Ek2. Note that they are a thick cast piece while originals are stamped
    from very thin sheet material.

The 1914 bar is one that fooled many ( including me ) it's called the "Cat's paw"
    fake. A google search should yield lot's of discussions on these.

Another interesting fact. The 25 year wiederholungsspange was only worn
    with the 2nd class cross.

It's a cool piece and if the price was right,---maybe. But not more than $75-$100.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 03-25-2022 at 04:30 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Agreed, a complete Frankenstein concoction. A lapel mini recently sold on German fleabay which had the WHS on it, and I think it was good.