Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Chatham (UK) monthly Fair

Article about: 'any Brits out there looking for something to do on a Sunday morning there are still Fairs to be found! We went to Chatham Docks yesterday having heard that this monthly event was running (a

Default Chatham (UK) monthly Fair

'any Brits out there looking for something to do on a Sunday morning there are still Fairs to be found!

We went to Chatham Docks yesterday having heard that this monthly event was running (amid masks, hand gel, social distancing blah blah) - it's as good as ever and very well attended by the usual dealers (no, I don't have anything to do with this Fair). It opens at 7.00am which is great for early starters...we left at 8.30 and a queue was building (presumably to get through the health checks and the personal details recording). As usual, if you're more at home in Air-Conditioned carpeted Conference Centres full of ol' boys shooting Youtube videos of stuff in glass-fronted Walnut cases you can't afford don't bother....but if you want to get down'n'dirty with "stuff" and like-minded folk hit the M25!

Having missed 95% of this years Fairs it was great to get out again.......I'd advise checking their web-site nearer October's Fair just to make sure they're still going strong.

The process (when we arrived at least) was:-

- spaced queue
    - Mask-up
    - temperature check and hand gel
    - move up to entry desk, pay and hand over name and contact phone number
    - one-way traffic, masked inside
    - exit and re-entry kept separate and managed

...and great fun was had by all.......

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Chatham (UK) monthly Fair
    P
    Many

Was good to Catch up with you there on Sunday and well worth the trip anyone thinking of going next month

That’s the BIG benefit for me re Fairs / Shows nowadays.......the people you meet.

Thumbs up

With Stoneleigh 'off'and stir-craziness fast setting in, decided at the last minute to 'do' Chatham for the first time. Have to confess that I'd dismissed it before, thinking it would be very small beer compared to Beltring, Detling and Stoneleigh.

Wrong !

I like that it opens at 07:00 ( rather like the Continental fairs ). So, it was up at 05:00 and down to the Historic Dockyard cold and early, following muffled figures to the Slip No. 5 building. And a nice sign ...

Not a huge number of stalls, but quite a bit of interesting 'stuff', mostly from well-known and reliable dealers....

As always, it was a real pleasure to meet up with other WRF members, one of whom can be seen here, assessing yet another British helmet....

Much to my amazement, I actually bought something ! And went home very pleased with a little pile of British kit....

...a No.69 grenade ( which I really 'needed' ), four Bren mags, a couple of very cheap Mk III pouches and a nice No4 Mk II bayonet, complete with tubular scabbard and clean 1942-dated webbing frog.

All in all, a very nice morning out. Note to self - first thing in the morning in there it's cold and dark ! Next time, take a torch...

And yes, there will be a next time.

It was great to hook up with my friend. It was a tad light on stalls BUT with Farnham and Newark on the same day it was a good turn out. I too like the get-here-early-and-get-a-Lot-of-Sunday-back approach.......and it is the only place where inside is colder than outside in the winter (apart from Kubinka). We came away with a boot/trunk load and smiles all round. Good day, good fair, good company, good stuff.