Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Early NVA bayonet

Article about: I received this recently.I'm posting the Ebay sellers photos. The bayonet is in wonderful condition. Can I please ask members for any comments. I am particularly interested to learn how long

?

Default Early NVA bayonet

I received this recently.I'm posting the Ebay sellers photos.
    The bayonet is in wonderful condition.
    Can I please ask members for any comments.
    I am particularly interested to learn how long this version remained in service.
    Thanks for any comments.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early NVA bayonet   Early NVA bayonet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early NVA bayonet
    P
    Many

Hello Kateri,

I looked through some old forum posts and your bayonet appears to be an AK-47 bayonet, manufactured from 1959 to 1965. It was replaced by the AKM bayonet in 1965.

-Joel

?

Thanks a lot Joel.

Yep, an AK47 bayonet. The AK47 can be distinguished from the later AKM 47 in that it used a receiver which was machined from solid metal wheareas the AKM 47 which was introduced in 1959 used pressings and stampings to form the receiver making it cheaper and quicker to produce as well as lighter. The AKM 47 was introduced accross the Warsaw Pact Armies quite quickly if not simultaneously and had a different bayonet (initially the AKM type 1) so if you start from the formation of the NVA in 1956 and the AKM 47 introduced in 1959 then the AK47 was shortlived in DDR service although formations such as the Kampfgruppe der Arbeitsklasse (KGA) would have used it the longest.
    That is a nice example you have there though I am not well enough informed to say whether it is DDR or other nation produced.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks for the very interesting information Mark.

?

Hi,
    This model is called M1947 and was made before the 60's. Then the rivet on the scabbard changed and had a square section.

Early NVA bayonet

?

My NVA M1947 bayonets:

Early NVA bayonet

Early NVA bayonet

Some others (Bulgarian, Russian, ...):

Early NVA bayonet

and all different!

?

What a great collection Narcis,and thanks for your help!

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Yep, an AK47 bayonet. The AK47 can be distinguished from the later AKM 47 in that it used a receiver which was machined from solid metal wheareas the AKM 47 which was introduced in 1959 used pressings and stampings to form the receiver making it cheaper and quicker to produce as well as lighter. The AKM 47 was introduced accross the Warsaw Pact Armies quite quickly if not simultaneously and had a different bayonet (initially the AKM type 1) so if you start from the formation of the NVA in 1956 and the AKM 47 introduced in 1959 then the AK47 was shortlived in DDR service although formations such as the Kampfgruppe der Arbeitsklasse (KGA) would have used it the longest.
    That is a nice example you have there though I am not well enough informed to say whether it is DDR or other nation produced.

Regards

Mark
    Not quite true Mark, the first production AK47 had a stamped receiver, but the factories were having trouble welding the bolt carrier guide rails and i think the ejector. they then went to the machined receiver then back to stamped.

Interesting, so how do you tell a AK47 with a stamped receiver from a AK47-M?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast