Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

The early sticker of M56

Article about: Hello, folks! I'm working with shield-shaped stickers from the early maneuver in 1961. I'd like to have this special decoration on my three-rivets helmet. I repaint this symbol with photosho

Default The early sticker of M56

Hello, folks!
    I'm working with shield-shaped stickers from the early maneuver in 1961. I'd like to have this special decoration on my three-rivets helmet. I repaint this symbol with photoshop so it would be clear, and I'd like to share this new picture with all of you
    Sadly, helmets with original decoration are so hard to find, so I have no idea about the size of the sticker in centimeters or where should it be placed on the helmet. Hoping someone could help me
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The early sticker of M56  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The early sticker of M56
    P
    Many

With more photos as contrast
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The early sticker of M56   The early sticker of M56  

Smile

Luckily, I found this picture
    I'm not really good at German, so I can only get the basic information. Perhaps someone who does speak German can help me with this? It's will be very helpful
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The early sticker of M56  

Don't do it. You will turn a collectible original helmet into a "messed with" oddment!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks for your reply
    you are definitely correct, it is not a good idea sometimes to change an original piece and I respect it as well as you believe. Perhaps I need to make it clear first. As I suggested, I was trying to get accurate information about the helmet with the national emblem from the early NVA maneuver in 1961, this is because we are preparing them as temporary stage property, and I just want to make sure all we have is accurate, so we will not make mistakes such as the having a different helmet from the wrong year of production. These stickers could be removable, so it doesn't mean permanent damage to the helmet.

In my perspective, different people have different views about their collections. It's similar to the debate that how to preserve your collection. Some people prefer to maintain them as the stage when they were found, while others want them to look brand new. I have seen a collector reclean a helmet and repaint it. The helmet now looks shiny... Behavior that is not encouraged, but you couldn't stop it.

I think it is important to get the right information, which is helpful for your identification and preservation. Having the right knowledge can prevent silly mistakes, such as using a WWII-style German tricolor emblem on an M56. I have read so many posts related to M56, and many of them were written by Mr. Mark. These posts are very instructive. I'm appreciated your reply and hoping not to dismay you

Quote by Gefilde View Post
    Thanks for your reply
    you are definitely correct, it is not a good idea sometimes to change an original piece and I respect it as well as you believe. Perhaps I need to make it clear first. As I suggested, I was trying to get accurate information about the helmet with the national emblem from the early NVA maneuver in 1961, this is because we are preparing them as temporary stage property, and I just want to make sure all we have is accurate, so we will not make mistakes such as the having a different helmet from the wrong year of production. These stickers could be removable, so it doesn't mean permanent damage to the helmet.

In my perspective, different people have different views about their collections. It's similar to the debate that how to preserve your collection. Some people prefer to maintain them as the stage when they were found, while others want them to look brand new. I have seen a collector reclean a helmet and repaint it. The helmet now looks shiny... Behavior that is not encouraged, but you couldn't stop it.

I think it is important to get the right information, which is helpful for your identification and preservation. Having the right knowledge can prevent silly mistakes, such as using a WWII-style German tricolor emblem on an M56. I have read so many posts related to M56, and many of them were written by Mr. Mark. These posts are very instructive. I'm appreciated your reply and hoping not to dismay you
    Understood!

I was just worried that you were about to commit sacrilege I'm glad that is not the case

Good luck with your production and it would be great to see pictures if possible?

Regards

Mark

PS As to your question;

The description on the diagram states that; The emblem is a representation of the national colours black, red and gold which is applied to the finished, painted helmet.

Kinnriemenbefestigung = Chinstrap fastening/attachment point.

Unterer Rand des Stahlhelmkorpes = Lower rim/edge of the steel helmet body.

The vertical line indicates the centre line of the helmet (not the decal) and the measurements are in millimetres.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 09-09-2022 at 01:23 PM. Reason: addition
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thumbs up

Thanks for the information!
    Now I'm designing some simple tools which would help me to have a better allocation for the emblem. I am new in this field, with no more than 3 years in my East German collection. Having relatively little knowledge, assistance from other senior collectors is more than helpful, and I appreciated and look up to it.
    I have also made some props for my fellows, such as the stuff in the pictures(they are made of resin and fibers). However, the real helmets are much more decent.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The early sticker of M56   The early sticker of M56  

Here are some photos of my work with the emblem, as identical to the factory design. The color is not too bright, but I think they are a good sample for display(Some photos could be a little different, due to the angle and light).
    The sticker could be removed, and the helmet I choose is produced in 1960.

The 1960s are already 62 years ago, long enough to erase the trace of a piece of history, as well as memories. The only purpose is nothing more but to see how these items were once they used to be.

The early sticker of M56