Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

East German Uniform with badges and bars

Article about: Hi Guys, Just got this uniform today and I'm not sure if the visor is right for the uniform? Shouldn't it have the green pipping? What branch is it and what do the bars mean? It has a sports

?

Default East German Uniform with badges and bars

Hi Guys,

Just got this uniform today and I'm not sure if the visor is right for the uniform?
    Shouldn't it have the green pipping?
    What branch is it and what do the bars mean?
    It has a sports badge but I don't know what the other badges are?
    I'm really starting to get into East German gear, but I just don't have the knowledge.

Can someone please fill in the blanks for me?

Cheers,

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture East German Uniform with badges and bars   East German Uniform with badges and bars  

East German Uniform with badges and bars   East German Uniform with badges and bars  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement East German Uniform with badges and bars
    P
    Many

You have a Grenztruppen tunic and pants with an Infantry NCO Visor, however the cap does look like an early one.

You have a sports badge and a Leistungsabzeichen für Militärischen Mehrkampf (Proficiency Badge for Multiple-Discipline Military Sports/Skills).

You have the boarder guards clasp above the left pocket, grade 3 i think.

The medal bar is a mixture of awards mostly long service, however i can not id them all.

Morris

The medals are, from left to right. Top row... Militarischer Verdienstorden der DDR... Verdienstmedaille der Nationalen Volksarmee (silver).

Second row... Verdienstmedaille der Nationalen Volksarmee (bronze)… second ribbon not listed in my book... Medaille fur Vorbildlichen Grenzdienst.

Bottom row... Medaille fur treue Dienste in den Grenztruppen in gold (20 years) and then gold silver and bronze (15, 10, & five years service).

The schutzenschnur should be mounted with the button loop attached to the top button of the tunic front and the badge resting on the front of the tunic next to the shoulder seam.

The cap is an OR's cap... the NCO cap usually having better quality material. It is post 1961, and the white waffenfarbe by this time was used for all branches of the NVA. It was not exclusively for the infantry. Have a look at the sweat shield if present, there should be a date code - or a date if an early cap. The tunic is probably mid to late 1970's, and again there should be a date code, usually situated above the left inside pocket.

Cheers,
    Steve

I stand corrected it is a Unteroffizier cap however, it still would not go with the tunic in this case. I assume the second medal second row would be for some aspect of the Deutsche Reichsbahn

This is the type of cap you require to go with the tunic, although this is an early one - and for an officer. Note the wire bullion wreath. The later one's which would match the tunic are very reasonably priced and easy to obtain. If you do decide to collect DDR militaria, I would suggest that you try to obtain the earlier pre-1970 items while they are still reasonably priced. The quality is that much better than the post 1970's era. But as always, it is down to what an individual can afford to pay!

Cheers,
    Steve

East German Uniform with badges and barsEast German Uniform with badges and barsEast German Uniform with badges and bars

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    I stand corrected it is a Unteroffizier cap however, it still would not go with the tunic in this case. I assume the second medal second row would be for some aspect of the Deutsche Reichsbahn
    Correct it's the Verdienstmedaille der Deutschen Reichsbahn first class, The medal was awarded in three classes for selfless service, for high achievements or for courage.

I would be interested to know if the ribbon bars and the two abzeichen are pinned directly to the tunic, or through loops.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Hi Harry,

Once it arrives I will take better photos and see if it's attached directly to the tunic or through loops.

Cheers,

Danger

?

Hi Harry,

I think I found one.
    They are advertising it as a WWII Heer admin visor.
    Looks like an East German visor to me. Date code - D = 1990.
    Because it's the last to be made, would that explain why it's incomplete?
    I can always finish it myself.
    At the moment it's $10. Bargain?

Cheers,

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture East German Uniform with badges and bars   East German Uniform with badges and bars  

East German Uniform with badges and bars  

I don't like telling people how to spend their money, because I have absolutely no idea how much spare cash you have! But if you can afford more, I would go for a complete one, and one of an earlier date. This one would have been manufactured too late to see use. There are loads of them out there, so finding a good one won't be a problem!

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast