Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Grenztruppen uniform set up

Article about: Just recently I found myself really interested in East German collectibles, and I decided to buy some items for my collection while DDR stuff is still reasonably priced. To me the Berlin wal

Wow! When I first embarked on collecting these items, I never thought I would be talking to someone who had a first hand experience with this type history. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, the wall wasn't torn down all that long ago.

That story of you toying with the Grenztruppen gave me a good chuckle. Thanks for sharing it with me, it made my day

Oh I have a question, maybe you can help me with this. I want to buy a piece of the Berlin wall. I think it would be a really cool item to have with the uniform. I know everyone and their brother has chunks of the wall, but I've heard there is a big ring of fakers who simply spray paint pieces of concrete and sell them to unsuspecting tourists in Germany. Are there any reputable sources that sell Berlin wall pieces?

Best regards- Jarret

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grenztruppen uniform set up
    P
    Many

You are more than welcome mate,

This is what the forum is about so when you are an old dog like me remember and do the same

At the time in question I was in my 30s and had already seen a bit of life but the whole Berlin "city of spies" thing was electrifying

If there is anything else I can help with in your quest for knowledge I will try and help but I was only there for two years

As for the wall relics you are dead on that as soon as it went down the sharks were knocking out "a bag of genuine fragments" for 10DM (I think about 1$ US back then) on every street corner but they were just bits of crap.

The things to look for;

If I recall correctly it was about 5cm thick and quite smooth on both sides. The East (DDR) side was painted white whilst the West (W. Berlin) side was supposed to be paint free although about 99% was covered in colourful grafitti. It should obviously be of early 20th century concrete too but you have to know what that looks like I suppose.

I have a piece somewhere if I can find it I will post a pic but it is just concrete slab in the end!

If as I say I can find it I would let you have it but the postage from UK would be ridiculous as it weighs aboult five pounds which for a chunk of concrete is stupid!

I will look for pictures and post them which may be of interest though most of the time when stuff was happening taking photos was not a high priority That was one for the journos!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

I am not trying to hijack the thread, but I would like to share my piece of 'the wall' for reference.
    This piece was given to me by my grandfather, who never paid for it, he picked it up himself after the wall had come down. It looks like it was reinforced concrete, quite heavy and no 'pretty' paintjob. The piece is 17cm x 15cm and 10 cm thick. It weighs 4,5kg.

(click to enlarge)

Regards, Rik

Quote by Dschop View Post
    I am not trying to hijack the thread, but I would like to share my piece of 'the wall' for reference.
    This piece was given to me by my grandfather, who never paid for it, he picked it up himself after the wall had come down. It looks like it was reinforced concrete, quite heavy and no 'pretty' paintjob. The piece is 17cm x 15cm and 10 cm thick. It weighs 4,5kg.

(click to enlarge)

Regards, Rik
    Yep, looks like a piece of the thicker area that was closest to the ground. Most of the stuff sold as souvenirs came from higher up where the slabs were thinner and in the area where the grafitti was most concentrated. There were of course areas of concrete in different dimensions other than the basic vertical wall sections.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    You are more than welcome mate,

This is what the forum is about so when you are an old dog like me remember and do the same

At the time in question I was in my 30s and had already seen a bit of life but the whole Berlin "city of spies" thing was electrifying

If there is anything else I can help with in your quest for knowledge I will try and help but I was only there for two years

As for the wall relics you are dead on that as soon as it went down the sharks were knocking out "a bag of genuine fragments" for 10DM (I think about 1$ US back then) on every street corner but they were just bits of crap.

The things to look for;

If I recall correctly it was about 5cm thick and quite smooth on both sides. The East (DDR) side was painted white whilst the West (W. Berlin) side was supposed to be paint free although about 99% was covered in colourful grafitti. It should obviously be of early 20th century concrete too but you have to know what that looks like I suppose.

I have a piece somewhere if I can find it I will post a pic but it is just concrete slab in the end!

If as I say I can find it I would let you have it but the postage from UK would be ridiculous as it weighs aboult five pounds which for a chunk of concrete is stupid!

I will look for pictures and post them which may be of interest though most of the time when stuff was happening taking photos was not a high priority That was one for the journos!

Regards

Mark
    I apologize for the long delay with responding to your post. I tragically lost a family member since we last spoke, and as you could imagine its kept me away from the forum.

I appreciate you offering me your chunk of the wall, but you don't have to do that. If anything I would buy it from you if you could find it. Thanks again for sharing with me all of this information, and of course your personal experiences. I really enjoyed it!

Best regards- Jarret

?

Hey Guys,

I too have caught the East German bug.
    After almost completing my West German kit, I thought I should also get the same East German gear. To my wife's delight....
    I recently got this lot for $50. I'm just waiting for them to arrive. Probably a few weeks away.
    Dad was based in Germany in the early 70's with Java 137.
    I won't know what years these are until I can see them.
    But here are a few pics from the auction house.
    What rank is the visor cap?
    I hoping the helmet is a M56.
    As a side note, I saw a massive East German flag come up for sale - 1.62 x 2.8m, not so cheap. $85NZD.
    And a East German Table Banner Flag Der DDR LIGA Für Völkerfreundschaft - $25NZD.
    I'm watching them at the moment.

I've added a couple of historical photo's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grenztruppen uniform set up   Grenztruppen uniform set up  

Grenztruppen uniform set up   Grenztruppen uniform set up  

Quote by Danger View Post
    Hey Guys,

I too have caught the East German bug.
    After almost completing my West German kit, I thought I should also get the same East German gear. To my wife's delight....
    I recently got this lot for $50. I'm just waiting for them to arrive. Probably a few weeks away.
    Dad was based in Germany in the early 70's with Java 137.
    I won't know what years these are until I can see them.
    But here are a few pics from the auction house.
    What rank is the visor cap?
    I hoping the helmet is a M56.
    As a side note, I saw a massive East German flag come up for sale - 1.62 x 2.8m, not so cheap. $85NZD.
    And a East German Table Banner Flag Der DDR LIGA Für Völkerfreundschaft - $25NZD.
    I'm watching them at the moment.

I've added a couple of historical photo's.
    Nice scores, the cap is for enlisted personnel infantry, and you scored a couple of 50's/60's water bottles. Can't tell on the helmet yet but at worst (not really) it could be a 56 referb?

?

Thanks Rene.

Yeah I think I did ok on these!! just lucky no one else wanted them.
    There's also 3 cloth bandoleers in there, would they be the same time period? 50/60's?
    What's the difference between a straight M56 and a M56 refurb? Is it the rivets and liner type?
    Ammo pouch must be 50's right?

Cheers,
    Danger

The first pattern helmet which was issued from 1957, had a WW2 style liner which was riveted to the shell. There were four hard rubber pads which were tied to the metal liner band, and two triangular patches of pigskin which were stitched to the chinstraps. Around 1961/62, there was a slight change to the liner. The four pads were now held to the liner band by split pins and the triangular patches were no longer stitched. The third change came around 1968 when the whole system of mounting the liner was changed. The hard rubber pads and metal bands were replaced by plastic and sponge, and the liner held in place by studs for easy removal. I have included some shots of my own second pattern liner system. This pattern being in use from about 1961 to 1967. There is also a picture of the third pattern liner (not mine).

Cheers,
    Steve

Grenztruppen uniform set upGrenztruppen uniform set upGrenztruppen uniform set upGrenztruppen uniform set up

?

Hey guys,

Well it took longer than expected to get this stuff through customs. 6 days each in USA and NZ customs then who knows where?
    I will create a new thread with all the photo's, I will just post pics of the helmet here.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Danger
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Grenztruppen uniform set up   Grenztruppen uniform set up  

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast