Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Klassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDR

Article about: Over the DDR/NVA time- line Klassifizierungsabzeichen or Classification/Qualification badges took five basic forms all of which were of the generic “Spange” or clasp style. This thread i

Default Klassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDR

Over the DDR/NVA time- line Klassifizierungsabzeichen or Classification/Qualification badges took five basic forms all of which were of the generic “Spange” or clasp style.
    This thread is intended to draw together as many examples of all types as possible to act as a general source of reference to these badges.
    I will add a few of mine and group them together by form / type. Please add any others you have to build up the base of information.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Klassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDR
    P
    Many

Default Klassifizierungsabzeichen fur Panzerfahrer

This is the first badge of the first form and was originally awarded in 1958 in four grades; M (Master), I, II and III.

Initially the German flag at the top of the wreath did not have the DDR Hammer and Dividers Staatswappen but when the device was added to the DDR national flag a revised issue of the badge was created.

The earliest badges had the typical maker marked screwplates (Prawema Markneukirchen) and two part screw-posts but later examples had unmarked plates and one piece screw-posts.

Klassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDRKlassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDRKlassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDRKlassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDR
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

As well as being the first of the type the Panzerfahrer badge was the only one to be issued in four grades,M,I,II,III. The rest issued from 1963 had only grades I-III. The Diensthundfuhrer appeared later in 1966 and was used by MfS until 1990.

The range or "set" if you like comprised;

1. Panzerfahrer.
    2. Fahrer von Schutzenpanzerwagen und Kfraftfahrer.
    3. Fahrer und Kommandanten von Schwimmwagen.
    4. Funker und Fernschreiber.
    5. Kommandanten von Kampfschiffen und Kampfbooten.
    6. Funkorter und Hydroakustiker der Seestreitkrafte (I'm still looking for that one!)
    7. Signaler.
    8. Taucher.
    9. Spezialtaucher der Seestreitkrafte.

Here's a picture of the few that I have at present;

Klassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDR

Regards

Mark

Default Klassifizierungs abzeichen der NVA der DDR 1963 - 85

This is the pattern that crops on most NVA Landstreitekrafte and Volksmarine uniforms from what one might refer to as "Mid-period" but which is actually the bulk of the timeline. In use from 1963 - 85 it has three versions;Panzerfahrer (literally Armour Driver), Offiziere der Volksmarine (Naval officers) and the Einheitliches Klassifizierungsabzeichen (literally Uniform Classification Badge ie for everybody else). It seems an arbitrary way of distinction but there it is! All three were issued in grades I - III with no 'M'

The earliest pieces enamelled "motif", had two piece screw posts and maker marked screw plates. The later and most common type had painted "motif", one piece screw posts (attached with either epoxy or low melting point solder?) and unmarked screwplates.

The enamel versions are far more attractive in my opinion but I suppose it came down to cost and simplicity (but mostly cost?).

I hope this is of interest.

Regards

Mark

Klassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDRKlassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDRKlassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDRKlassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDRKlassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDRKlassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDRKlassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDRKlassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDRKlassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDRKlassifizierungsabzeichen der Nationalen Volksarmee der DDR
    Last edited by Watchdog; 06-13-2020 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Typo

Thanks for posting this. I'm not sure where i read it but i remember an article about the first series of badges, it said if the threaded post on the rear looked like a slot headed countersunk screw it wasn't an original late 50s early 60s item. Apparently the are made using the original tooling/molds etc but are quite recent. I'm not sure if this is true or just speculation. The 2nd Panzerfahrer badge you show appears to be this type.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Thanks for posting this. I'm not sure where i read it but i remember an article about the first series of badges, it said if the threaded post on the rear looked like a slot headed countersunk screw it wasn't an original late 50s early 60s item. Apparently the are made using the original tooling/molds etc but are quite recent. I'm not sure if this is true or just speculation. The 2nd Panzerfahrer badge you show appears to be this type.
    Thanks for raising the screw post question. I was hoping somebody would because it is something I am aware of but don't know the definitive answer. I think the first type Panzerfahrer badges with the "slotted" screw posts may well be post '63 manufacture but I have found the later '63 - '85 painted variants on uniforms in verified groups (not bomb proof evidence I know but fairly common) and all the '86 - '90 last pattern badges I have seen have had identical "slotted" screw posts. Some of the '63 - '85 badges I have were found in Berlin in the late '80s (more than 30 years ago and while the "Wall" still stood). The badges themselves are identical to the ones with the two piece screw post and marked screw plate (not all '63 - '85 types have marked screwplates and none of the '86 - '90 type do). It seems likely that the very early types with the late screw posts were made in the same factory as they ever were ie Prawema, Markneukirchen. Perhaps for veterans or for general commercial reasons. As I say, I don't know the answer and I think we need the assistance of collector frinds in the former DDR with period knowledge. I know you are here somewhere guys, time to impress with your in depth knowledge!!

Regards

Mark

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Thanks for raising the screw post question. I was hoping somebody would because it is something I am aware of but don't know the definitive answer. I think the first type Panzerfahrer badges with the "slotted" screw posts may well be post '63 manufacture but I have found the later '63 - '85 painted variants on uniforms in verified groups (not bomb proof evidence I know but fairly common) and all the '86 - '90 last pattern badges I have seen have had identical "slotted" screw posts. Some of the '63 - '85 badges I have were found in Berlin in the late '80s (more than 30 years ago and while the "Wall" still stood). The badges themselves are identical to the ones with the two piece screw post and marked screw plate (not all '63 - '85 types have marked screwplates and none of the '86 - '90 type do). It seems likely that the very early types with the late screw posts were made in the same factory as they ever were ie Prawema, Markneukirchen. Perhaps for veterans or for general commercial reasons. As I say, I don't know the answer and I think we need the assistance of collector frinds in the former DDR with period knowledge. I know you are here somewhere guys, time to impress with your in depth knowledge!!

Regards

Mark
    It'd be great to get to the bottom of the screw post question Mark, but as you know there is not a lot of interest in DDR/NVA collecting on this forum. Cheers mate.

'Not a lot' is a bit of an understatement. There is almost zero interest. Sometimes it doesn't even seem worth the effort of posting anything connected to DDR. Everything revolves around TR - where a rusty old lid which is literally falling to pieces - can invite pages of responses. This isn't a moan, but an acceptance of the way things are. I feel sad for those collectors who do not realise what they are missing out on.

Cheers,
    Steve.

There seem to be more interest on there than WRF