Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Medaille fuer treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee

Article about: Just added this one today and am showing it for info/comparison. These medals are intriguing and the variants tell a great deal about the timeline. This one is a type 2 silver (10 years) in

Default Medaille fuer treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee

Just added this one today and am showing it for info/comparison.

These medals are intriguing and the variants tell a great deal about the timeline.

This one is a type 2 silver (10 years) in very tidy condition.

It is type 2 because the silver content 900 stamp is on the rim rather than above or below the laurel branch intersection on the reverse.

The type 2 was only issued from 1960 - 61. The type 1 had no national emblem on the flag and was only issued in 1959 (not holding my breath for one of those!).

This one was issued in March 1960 and considering this is a 10 year award the recipient must have enlisted even before the KVP came to be in 1952. It is possible that he was a WWII veteran.

The Urkunde is signed (stamped I think) Stoph who was Minister for Defence at the time. He was also a WWII veteran (Uffz) and EKII holder. He was expected to succeed Walter Ulbricht but as history tells Erich Honeker took that job. Stoph was still in the game though and was instrumental in the voting out of Honeker!

Anyway, I am really pleased with this set which I grabbed for a reasonable 90€.
    All comments as usual are much appreciated.

Regards

Mark

This set is in very nice condition
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Medaille fuer treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee   Medaille fuer treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee  

Medaille fuer treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee   Medaille fuer treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee  

Medaille fuer treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee   Medaille fuer treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee  

Last edited by Watchdog; 10-19-2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Medaille fuer treue Dienste in der Nationalen Volksarmee
    P
    Many

A very nice example Mark... my own is the later variant with the silver content marked below the branches.

Cheers,
    Steve

Very nice Mark and well photographed.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    A very nice example Mark... my own is the later variant with the silver content marked below the branches.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Thanks Steve, yours will be the 4th variant then. If it has an Urkunde, I know you prefer it if they do, then I reckon the date should be somewhere in the '64 - 72 range?

When I started with DDR medals it really was just going to be a "one of each" kind of approach until I became aware of how much of a difference in quality there was over the timeline, then the history element kicked in and well, you know the rest.

I particulary like this one because of; a. The early variation. b. the condition especially the Urkunde and Mappe (look at the early more decorative style of the cord tassles which are mint) c. The issuing signatory and d. Being a 10yr award in 1960 when the NVA was formed in 1956 the recipient must have served at least four years in the KVP and two years in the HVA ( Hauptverwaltung fuer Ausbildung) if I have my sums right
    It's a pity I don't know how old he was as I don't think they took too many 18 yr olds at that time due to the need for checkable (pro regime) history so he may also have been a WWII vet.

I am already looking for one without the Staatswappen (pre - 1960) to match the 5 yr bronze I already have (the 15 and 20 year gold medals are both post 1960 so there is no pre-Staatswappen variant thankfully ).

I suppose it is the same with most militaria subjects really. I should know as I collect British cap badges and there is no chance of the "unicorn" that would represent a complete collection!!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."