MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Named M56 Helmet

Article about: Thought i would share my first DDR helmet. This size 2 M56 helmet made in August 1971. Of course its the later variety withiut rivets plus the plastic and foam liner. But i didn’t want to re

?

Default Named M56 Helmet

Thought i would share my first DDR helmet. This size 2 M56 helmet made in August 1971. Of course its the later variety without rivets plus the plastic and foam liner. But i didn’t want to refer to this one initially as a M56/76 since mine of course predates that? So maybe my example was made during a transition period or something.

The former owner of this helmet must of been very worried ahout his helmet being used by someone else as he put his name down 3 times. One visible and two under the liner. His name was “Quint Matrose” . A very odd name imo.

I managed to take these photos outside. It was 24C when doing so. I know to you guys down south and in europe your facing 30 to 40C’s but for me 24C is enough!

Enjoy the photos. I might attempt to try get an earlier example at somepoint. But who knows!

Named M56 HelmetNamed M56 HelmetNamed M56 HelmetNamed M56 HelmetNamed M56 HelmetNamed M56 HelmetNamed M56 Helmet
    Named M56 Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Named M56 Helmet
    P
    Many

A nice used example of the later variant. But have you considered the fact that 'Matrose' might be his rank rather than his name?

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Well that just shows my lack of knowledge regarding German ranks!
    So this guy was with the Volksmarine. That’s pretty cool

Matrose means "Sailor", or ordinary seaman in German

Good looking helmet John!

Mart

I agree it is a good example of the type and more interesting because of the "hybrid" combination of shell date, no rivets and late liner.
    Of course we know of the "transitional" type with late liner and rivetted shell but I have no trouble in believing that given the late date (1971), this one results from unfinished earlier manufactured shells that were held in production before the rivet holes were punched then finished in the later format with spot welded liner studs.

You know you will end up adding an early M56 so don't fight it! Resistance is futile. In the meantime you will be needing a strichtarn cover and or a net. For this one it needs to be the late net with steel hooks.

Also as mentioned above by Steve and "thecyclist64" Matrose is the rank "Seaman" rather than a name.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thanks guys! So overall for £15 I have volksmarine (or any other naval branch) helmet. That’s also a hybrid between two different production types! I’m rather happy with that!

And due to this thread I don’t think I will ever forget “Matrose’s” meaning

Well done JB, it is difficult to turn them down when they appear so cheaply in front of you. I couldn't resist them either!

These helmets also pop up on eBay de in an even rarer form... converted to a lampshade!

Nice helmet for sure, well done!
    I will keep my eye open for a first pattern helmet for you over here in Germany
    By the way, you are so lucky to only have 24°C haha, 40°C for most of the last week
    But now we've got similar temps again, too.
    Luis

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast