Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

NVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dress

Article about: This is a very nice example of an obsolescent parade jacket “re-purposed” as a service dress by replacing the parade pattern Kragenspiegel with the service dress type and removing the Ar

Default NVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dress

This is a very nice example of an obsolescent parade jacket “re-purposed” as a service dress by replacing the parade pattern Kragenspiegel with the service dress type and removing the Armelpatten. This appears to have been an affectation of long serving officers in the late ‘60s. This is the sort of thing done by professional soldiers in most armies I think. For my own part I wore a brass cap badge and shoulder titles long after they had been replaced by the anodised aluminium “staybrite” types. Little things like this are a kind of statement of individuality and pride in ones “turn out” which tend to be tolerated by the hierarchy because they show a certain attitude that engenders “Esprit de Corps” and can be very good for morale.
    I had been seeking exactly this configuration for some time in order to recreate an image of an officer of whom I have a photograph and whose medal and document group I recently acquired.
    This type of uniform set up as parade dress is quite scarce and tends to be in poor condition especially for the high prices they command.
    I could not believe my eyes when I found this one in Hamburg.
    It came complete less the boots (early leather soled and in mint condition) and belt (1978 dated with tongue behind the buckle) for about the same price that I am used to paying for just the old style ribbon bar alone!!! Granted it was an auction so I was very lucky that I was the only bidder but I think I will wait a long time for another such windfall!

I was setting this up to photograph and started to thinks how much like a fashion show the idea is

"Today Otto is modelling a striking semi-formal retro style ensemble in the Genosse des Modes range from Maison Honnecker und Hoffmann of Berlin. An on-trend shade of Feldgrau entitled Zu Befehl it utilises an obsolete closed collar parade jacket with service dress “Effekten” with black highlights to suit a Pionereoffizier and is without Armelpatten for a more relaxed everyday feel whilst retaining just a frisson of officiousness for that truly professional effect. It retains the light colour piping on the collar and lower sleeve which is a ̀ la mode amongst “Old Sweat” Berufsoffiziere of the late ‘60s.The appliqué costume accents include the earlier enamelled pattern 1963 Einheitliches Klassifierungsabzeichen by Prawema of Markneukirchen appropriate for Officers of Pioneers"

NVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dressNVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dressNVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dressNVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dressNVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dressNVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dressNVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dressNVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dressNVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dress

Regards

Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dress  
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dress
    P
    Many

Many thanks for the fashion show!

Amazing display Mark. Really beautiful tunic. Since it's from 1965, you might wish to replace those shoulder boards with the earlier type. I believe the later type of field grade officer's boards was introduced in the 70s.

-Joel

Quote by Blitzvogel View Post
    Amazing display Mark. Really beautiful tunic. Since it's from 1965, you might wish to replace those shoulder boards with the earlier type. I believe the later type of field grade officer's boards was introduced in the 70s.

-Joel
    Yes you are correct Joel. These are later shoulder boards. The uniform did come with shoulder boards for a Leutnant and I wanted to represent a Major but is the black waffenfarbe not correct for this period? I must confess to not being 100% on the dates.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

A very nice set up Mark... its a while since we had some DDR stuff posted too. The tunic is much the same as my Panzer officer's tunic, although mine has a later date code for 1968. The good stuff is certainly still out there if you are pepared to search! Here is a glimpse of my tumic for comparison.

cheers,
    Steve,

NVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dressNVA Pionere Offizier early parade uniform re-used as service dress

Yes I agree Steve and it is difficult for me to understand why those who claim to be militaria enthisiasts are only really interested in one particular part of the subject!

I have particular interests but in truth I am enthused by it all.

I don't speak out about stuff of which I have no knowledge but just by interest alone I am sponge-like in soaking up the knowledge given out here by those who do!

As for not much DDR stuff being posted I will be along shortly with a couple more "nuggets"

Regards

Mark

I've been buying up 57er abzeichen more recently, all photographed - but yet to get around to posting.