Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Please Help I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOW

Article about: I had not posted here for quite awhile so earlier I messed up and posted wrong helmet photos and could not figure how to edit the pictures. I'm really sorry so hope this works. I thought thi

Default Please Help I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOW

I had not posted here for quite awhile so earlier I messed up and posted wrong helmet photos and could not figure how to edit the pictures. I'm really sorry so hope this works. I thought this was a common Axis Powers WWII helmet but I can not find an example of it (especially the liner)..Would appreciate an ID and an approx value so I know what to offer for it. Richard an old retired guy in FL.Please Help  I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOWPlease Help  I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOW

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Please Help  I thought this was Russian and Then Italian WW2 I JUST DON'T KNOW
    P
    Many

Its a post war NVA (East German Army) Helmet. Its not my area of collecting but I think its the M1956 type. These are very common and low value helmets, there are several on ebay at the moment so I'm sure you wont have much trouble finding what they go for.

Quote by douglas2496 View Post
    Its a post war NVA (East German Army) Helmet. Its not my area of collecting but I think its the M1956 type. These are very common and low value helmets, there are several on ebay at the moment so I'm sure you wont have much trouble finding what they go for.
    Thank you very nice of you to answer. Healthy and Happy New Year to you and yours. Richard

Indeed an East German Helmet...I see them offered starting around $25...Before the Wall came down, these were highly desirable and sought after...I remember seeing a shell for sale in Louisville, Ky for $300 in 1982-83!!
    cheers, Glenn

hello richard and welcome to the forum you have come to the right place for your answers , this stalhlhelm m56 is the second pattern shell lacking the external liner rivits of the earlier model ,the liner too is the second pattern ,i like the patina and overall issued look of this one ,if its quite economical on the wallet id add it to my collection as these will most definately become more desirable as time goes by ,best regards from the uk ,james

Ddr.

this is the last model DDR M56/70 Stahlhelm

some collectors call it the M56/76 , but several examples with earlier dates like 1970 - 1971 have been found, thats why I prefer to call it the M56/70

anybody who collects cold war era helmets should have at least one of these, as mentioned by bigmacglenn1966 , these helmets use to be very hard to get and would sell for over $250 or more on the collector market back before the wall came down in Eastern Europe.

these were also used by the North Vietnamese Anti - Aircraft Gunners during the Vietnam War

SRB
    ?

no one has previously mention ... you have on right side type a year and size.

?

Default Ddr

Quote by battle gear View Post
    this is the last model DDR M56/70 Stahlhelm

some collectors call it the M56/76 , but several examples with earlier dates like 1970 - 1971 have been found, thats why I prefer to call it the M56/70
    M56/76 (or Gerät 604) is indeed the proper designation if the helmet was made after 1976. The two main changes to the DDR M56 helmet came in 1966, when the new liner (2.Form) replaced the original I-31 type, and then in 1976 when changes to pressing techniques led to minor changes in the form of the body. The top became slightly flatter, the rim slightly wider and at a more pronounced angle from the sides compared to the M56. A lot of the pre-1966 helmets were retrofitted with the new liner but retained the original rivets for the 1.Form liner, helmets made between 1966 and 1976 lack these but retained the original shape. Baer Vom Stahlhelm zum Gefechtshelm III page 339 shows the difference. It's quite sublte so the best way to be sure is to look at the date stamped on the helmet rim.
    Roger

Hah, at last a sensible explanation for almost mythical 'flat top' M56! When someone asked me about this - and even sent a video of it *not rolling* when placed upside down - I was totally baffled. Then of course I spent *ages* trying to find one myself. So I knew it was true, but somehow I failed to grasp that it was a genuine design/production change and not an unusual fault in some specific production run. (Yes, its probably all explained in Baer, but my technical German is way behind my Romanian...)

So, were all this made in one plant, or distributed production or what? The implication here is one plant does all.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast