Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Verdienstmedaille der Nationale Volksarmee

Article about: I couldn't see a thread concerning these medals so I left the grade off so that we can post examples of all three here as a reference. There were three grades; Bronze, Silver and Gold. It wa

Default Verdienstmedaille der Nationale Volksarmee

I couldn't see a thread concerning these medals so I left the grade off so that we can post examples of all three here as a reference.

There were three grades; Bronze, Silver and Gold.

It was established in 1956 and was awarded for "Outstanding merit and personal readiness in support of the combat preparedness of the NVA" so really an exemplary service award. In theory all grades were available for award to all ranks but typically the gold grade tended to go to officers of field rank upwards ie Major and above whilst the silver and bronze went to Officers of company rank ie Capt downwards and NCOs.

To put this in perspective a soldier who qualified for the Bestenabzeichen annually for seven years would attract the bronze grade so not many Private soldiers would get one!!

So please post any examples of all three grades here to form a reference to the whole series.

Regards
    Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Verdienstmedaille der Nationale Volksarmee
    P
    Many

Default Verdienstmedaille der NVA bronze grade 1st type.

Best place to start;

Here is a 1st type bronze issued 1956 - 57.

Recognition features (yep just like tanks and stuff !! ) are the serial number at 12 O'Clock on the reverse and dots separating the inscription on the obverse.
    Not so much a recognition feature if the serial number is present but this version has no hyphens either side of the word UND in the reverse inscription.
    The material is plated bronze.

This one is in very good condition and also worthy of note is the "mint" style interimsspange, the early"kugelschrank" clasp fastener on both the interinsspange and the medal plus the higher quality case which is very similar to the wartime style.

Regards

Mark

Verdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale Volksarmee
    Last edited by Watchdog; 04-04-2020 at 06:30 PM. Reason: addition
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I have all three with Urkunde... and all to the same man. Here's the link …

https://www.google.com/url?client=in...lofaEY7V_kZVLX

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    I have all three with Urkunde... and all to the same man. Here's the link …

https://www.google.com/url?client=in...lofaEY7V_kZVLX

Cheers,
    Steve
    Nice examples Steve and great to have 3 Urkunden to the same soldier. You have early and late Urkunden which would be good to add here.

By my reckoning your medals should be;

Bronze 1963 4th variation without serial number and dots in the obverse inscription.

Silver 1973 either 4th variation with dots , no serial number and silver 900 stamp below the laurels or 5th variation, same as 4th but plated bronze.

Gold 1977 7th variation with dots, no serial number, plated bronze and slightly smaller 34.7mm diameter.

I am still learning about these and with NVA medals it is very hard not to get sucked into the variation thing.

It is my intention to go through the ones I have and post them in this thread and with help from others doing the same to end up with a reference to the series.

Please join in guys and lets add Urkunden too. The more the merrier.

Regards

Mark

Here are the medals and Urkunde in greater detail... click to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

Verdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale VolksarmeeVerdienstmedaille der Nationale Volksarmee