Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Volkspolizei Tschako prices

Article about: I've been watching a Volkspolizei Tschako on eBay for the past week or so, and with about 10 hours to go the price stood at £231 - or thereabouts. When the auction finally closed last night

Default Volkspolizei Tschako prices

I've been watching a Volkspolizei Tschako on eBay for the past week or so, and with about 10 hours to go the price stood at £231 - or thereabouts. When the auction finally closed last night it had reached EUR709... or £610.96p. Assuming that the buyer might be in UK, that would be a staggering £733 with the 20% VAT added. I purchased mine - which is a more complete example - last year for £410. Maybe the prices of DDR militaria are starting to climb? Pictured below is the auctioned helmet.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Volkspolizei Tschako prices

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Volkspolizei Tschako prices
    P
    Many

TWS
    ?

That's surprising to me, although I don't collect DDR items. One can easily buy a Third Reich Schupo enlisted Tshako for less - and it has that hooked cross thingy on it that makes collectors excited.

I was stationed in Germany (first time around) '92 to '95, so as one can imagine DDR militaria was plentiful and really cheap. I have observed at the large shows that nowadays certain DDR items are starting to go for "real money", and perhaps this Tschako is indicative of that trend.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Definitely. I've watched the prices for about 7 years now and there's definitely been an increase in even less rare items as well. Perhaps it has got something to do with the recent 30 year anniversary of the fall of the wall, maybe more people have taken interest into the field of DDR items. Also, the surplus seems to have run out from many bigger shops and it's all mostly in the hands of private individuals, which raises prices of some items as well.

-Joel

[QUOTE=Blitzvogel;2152847] Perhaps it has got something to do with the recent 30 year anniversary of the fall of the wall, maybe more people have taken interest into the field of DDR items. QUOTE]

I think this is quite likely. There was a similar spike in UK concerning the 100th anniversary of the end of WWI with prices climbing to ridiculous levels (on sites like Ebay) caused by a sudden "serious interest" in a period most people had little perception of. There was a lot of "I never realised" and "Why didn't they tell us at school?" (Err, they did, you just weren't listening!) kind of "Damascene moments".

Eventually the fickle "Cult of immediacy" generation fell back into their usual state of torpor and the prices generally returned to realistic levels at proper dealerships etc. Unfortunately many people had convinced themselves that the new elevated pricing was appropriate and now expect to have that level equity. So, the idiotic asking prices still abound on Ebay etc, just don't go there!

Hopefully this will be the case with DDR items (although there is still appropriately priced stuff out there) but I don't doubt that there will still be those who believe that their 50 Euro item is actually so rare that they won't accept less than 500 Euros. (I had such an experience with a clown who wanted 299 Euros for an M56 helmet. He also had one for the same price with a blumentarn Kapuze. I was willing to pay 150 for the cover alone and he could still have offered the helmet for the same ridiculous price but he would have none of it, What an arse! So I walked away)

At least we can search the internet if we know how!! It just takes a bit more effort which can be a source of pleasure when you find what you were looking for.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."