MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Doing heavy research tracing and hunting for clear copies of rare tailoring patterns.

Article about: Hi there. Just a college bloke taking up tailoring as a hobby, and have a special interest in historical military uniforms. My interest was sparked from getting a digital copy of Modern Tail

Post Doing heavy research tracing and hunting for clear copies of rare tailoring patterns.

Hi there. Just a college bloke taking up tailoring as a hobby, and have a special interest in historical military uniforms. My interest was sparked from getting a digital copy of Modern Tailor, Outfitter, and Clothier, which included British military uniforms.

Several rounds of google-fu failed me, leaving nothing but classic 1700s style costumes meant for kids. I already have managed to secure some few basic Rundschau pattern on drafting suit so I have the hang into the German cutting method, which I find more comfortable than the British method in MTOC since the former uses meters.

What finds it very elusive is the holy grail for someone like me: a drafting pattern for the famed Feldbluse, especially the M36. But I won't be solely focusing only on German uniforms; I'm also trying to hunt for sartorial books in the Library of Congress' digital library.

Anyways, without further ado. I decided to sign up an account here because I have no answers (and risking a ban for keeping on asking about uniforms) in a tailoring forum, so I decided to go straight to the point.

Doing heavy research tracing and hunting for clear copies of rare tailoring patterns.

Found these in a Ukrainian-language reenactors forum. And being unable to speak one word of Ukrainian, I decided to come here instead. These photos are just too blurry to be useful.

A close detail one the second one.

This kinda sparks my interest, especially how the collar was drafted. Care if some give a clearer copy for me to study further?

I would really want to buy the tailoring books but unfortunately, haven't opened a credit card account yet as its too expesive to maintain.
    Last edited by satoshi413; 02-01-2019 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Grammar revision

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Doing heavy research tracing and hunting for clear copies of rare tailoring patterns.
    P
    Many

?

hi satoshi413!

I thought that I was the only one in the world interested in patterns of uniforms... without been a professional tailor. Great to know that there is more people with the same interest. I have been collecting them for around two years, so I could help you on that. Many of them are avadible for free throught Digital Libraries of many of the countries. It just take time to find proper keywords to find that books, and habe some lucky

Books from after 1920s are much more dificult to find as a digital copy due to copyrights. For those books you have to go to antiques stores, but be aware that more than 90% of the patterns would be for civilian use and even sometimes there is not any military pattern on it.

You have already found my thread about japanese sewing patterns. You also may find interesting my other thread where I share military cutting patterns of Germany uniforms that I got from a tailoring book from 1919. I own another old tailoring book, but from Spain. I would like to share those patterns here in the Forum too, since we have people interested in the spanish army.

From what country do you come from?

?

Quote by luise View Post
    Something wrong... broken link. Otherwise... thanks.

Also interested in other uniforms too. So far, I only had juice from the NDL library.

Bundesarchiv? Mission failed.

Library of Congress? Mission failed.

BTW, I already have these copies of the Officer blouse. I'm trying to find the enlisted version, the Waffenrock (basically cut like a bodycoat), and the Reichswehr tunic.

Found them in a Finnish online militaria store.

Also, I am much more curious with how the German tunics have those immaculately built collars; looks handsome both open and closes.

Also, this is a call for approval Please , I hope so.

?

Patterns for enlisted are more difficult to find, since tailoring books are only focus on garments for officers (the luxus of a tailor was not avaidible for a enlisted). To find patterns for enlisted you should look for army spec sheets. For the Japanese army I have found many of them after the help of Nick Komiya throught this Forum. I haven't find them for other countries because at the moment I am only focusing my research on books for tailors.

You could open a new thread in the proper section of the Forum asking for that patterns. I could contribute showing the pattern for the Waffenrock that I got from the book: Handbuch für die Bekleidungsindustrie und den Bekleidungs-Einzelhandel. In that book you would find also a pattern for the Feldbluse with the same cut used for enlisted, incluying a pattern for the collar. Maybe other members could contribute with more patterns. Also it would be interesting material to look at for people who collect or study that uniforms.

Moving on, I saw this one floating around the internet. Pattern 37 Battledress draft, turned out to be much trickier tracing back to the original document, well, brought me zero results. I'm sure a complete piece of the document could be there.

Trying to find good contemporary sartorial books from this era for me to save up for future purchase. I already had set eyes on a book set by Fritz Hiddeman.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

?

I instantly thought of you luise when i saw this thread

MAP
    ?

Quote by satoshi413 View Post

Moving on, I saw this one floating around the internet. Pattern 37 Battledress draft, turned out to be much trickier tracing back to the original document, well, brought me zero results. I'm sure a complete piece of the document could be there.

Trying to find good contemporary sartorial books from this era for me to save up for future purchase. I already had set eyes on a book set by Fritz Hiddeman.
    Your still in the "New Approval" section of the forum where each attachment needs to be manually approved by the Admin. You should send a PM to the Mod of the Uniform forum and ask him to "move" this thread. You will not get many "views" here.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast