Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Greetings from across the pond!

Article about: Hello All, I am a long time shooter and collector. I began so many years ago when at the age of 16 I purchased my very first milsurp rifle a Lee Enfield No.4 Mk1. I enjoy shooting blackpowde

Default Greetings from across the pond!

Hello All,

I am a long time shooter and collector.

I began so many years ago when at the age of 16 I purchased my very first milsurp rifle a Lee Enfield No.4 Mk1. I enjoy shooting blackpowder, fullbore (centerfire) rifles and rimfire. I compete in ISSF pistol.

Presently I have begun a project to restore a couple of GEW 98 rifles that have Polish markings from when they had been left behind and used in the resorted Polish state. Enough about that! I am looking for parts for my projects.

Looking forward to being a member.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Greetings from across the pond!
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome Bob!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hello BWB,
    Welcome to the site. So which side of the pond do you live?
    There are some here who enjoy shooting.

So enough about that, What parts are you looking for???

Semper Fi
    Phil

Welcome to the forum! It is great to have you! I enjoy shooting, too, but only recreationally...no competitions or teams. I'll be excited to see your GEW 98s when you get them restored!

-Robyn

Hello Phil,

I know that some members are in Europe. I'm in Canada so 'across the Atlantic pond'.

I am presently restoring two Gew 98 Mausers made in 1916. I call them repatriation Mausers as they remained in Poland after 1918 and have a Polish Eagle stamp on the receivers. I successfully re-barreled one of them myself and also installed the original rear sight which is correct for 1916.

To get to the point the first part I need is a complete Lange Visier rear sight. I have inserted a picture of the sight. A 29 inch barrel with a good to excellent bore will be another major part that I will be looking for. I intend to shoot both rifles.

Regards,

BWB

Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Thank you very much for your welcome!

I personally enjoy shooting a great deal. In high school and university I shot a great deal then I slowed down a bit and now I am doing a lot more of it. I started on my Gew 98 project over 20 years ago. The rifles sat for many years. I was able to find a replacement barrel in great shape for one of them. The problem was my local gunsmith had one of the rifles for a year and then told me he couldn't get the barrel off! It was heart breaking to hear that. I eventually ordered a barrel vise and action wrench from Brownells. I had the barrel off in seconds. I installed the replacement barrel and amazingly the headspace was good.

The hardest part was soft soldering the front and rear sights back onto the barrel. I test fired the rifle last week with Portuguese 8mm ball ammo and everything went well.

Regards,

BWB