Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Greetings from Dixie, the Deep South, USA!

Article about: Greetings to the War Relics Forum members. I'm Mike, a newbie located in Fairhope, Alabama, USA. Fairhope is just about as far south as you can go in Alabama before you hit water. I'm locate

Talking Greetings from Dixie, the Deep South, USA!

Greetings to the War Relics Forum members. I'm Mike, a newbie located in Fairhope, Alabama, USA. Fairhope is just about as far south as you can go in Alabama before you hit water. I'm located on the Eastern Shore of Mobile Bay, north of Fort Morgan where the Battle of Mobile Bay ("Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead.") was fought during the American Civil War. We like to joke that Admiral Farragut's real words were, "Damn! Torpedoes??? Well,,, OK,,, full speed ahead." We moved here 27 years ago from Charlottesville, Virginia. My ancestors fought in the American Revolution. A great, great,,, Grandfather was killed at the Battle of Cowpens, and a great, great,,, Uncle rode with General Phil Sheridan's Calvary during the Valley Campaign. He was wounded and lost an arm at the Battle of Berryville, Virginia. I still have his Sharps and Sabre carefully displayed, hence the term "Damn Yankee" is applied to me because I moved here and stayed. I wish he had kept his pistols; mounted Civil War Calvary typically fought on horseback using pistols; the sabre was a weapon of last resort. However, my Grandfather pointed out that pistols had no practical use on a farm, but a rifle was always of use for hunting.

I'm retired and run a small business called The Sands of Time (Antique and Vintage Clock Repair and Restoration - The Sands of Time) where I restore antique timepieces. I also collect antique timepieces, mostly American. I found your website while investigating some German marine clocks from the WW1 Kaiserliche Marine and WW2 Kriegsmarine. The M-Adler on several of the WW2 clocks, just didn't look right, so I started investigating and found your forum. The information provided by your forum convinced me that many of the clocks are of questionable origin. One of special note has scratched on the rear of the case, "Taken from the bridge of the SS Bremen, May 3, 1945." I thought that very interesting since the SS Bremen burned and was gutted to its waterline while berthed in Bremerhaven on March 16, 1941, but I digress.

I hope to join all of you on the forum.

Regards -- Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Greetings from Dixie, the Deep South, USA!
    P
    Many

Welcome! I take it you're a Civil War history buff like I am... I was born in Charlottesville and raised in Culpeper, before I started moving to West Virginia, Kentucky and now Pennsylvania.

?

Hello Mike,
    Welcome to the forum.

Semper Fi
    Phil

Welcome Mike!
    Hi!
    Did you know that Admiral Farragut was the son of Jorge Farragut, a Spanish navy official who fought with the American Navy. After being captured in Charleston in 1780, he was liberated and participated in the battle of Cowpens (like your distant relative!)

No my area but In fact, my son just finished his History degree and specializes in diplomatic relations, specially the relatios between Spain and the two sides of the American Civil War, so he knows a lot about Spanish (and their descendants) combatants during the war, like Admiral Farragut!

Regards
    Santi