Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USAAF Airbase finds - please help ID

Article about: Hi Guys I have decided to join this forum as I have an absolute passion for World War 2 and spend a lot of time walking around my local USAAF Air bases. While walking I always am on the look

Default USAAF Airbase finds - please help ID

Hi Guys

I have decided to join this forum as I have an absolute passion for World War 2 and spend a lot of time walking around my local USAAF Air bases. While walking I am always on the lookout for anything lying about on the edges of agricultural fields or along hedgerows and often spot things of interest but don't know to much about them. So I have decided to send in some photos so all you knowledgeable folks can hopefully help me ID what I find. I have also photographed them as found after a little rinse off so please any info on the best ways to clean these items will be greatly appreciated.

The first item I am sure is just a 50 cal round produced in Milwaukee US in 1943 - found that info easily and I have used this round to give perspective on the size of all the other items.

The last item I am sure is some kind of filter and this comes from a base that only had B-17 bombers so maybe it is from one of them - amazingly it is still in great condition.

Look forward to any comments.

SafarimanUSAAF Airbase finds - please help IDUSAAF Airbase finds - please help IDUSAAF Airbase finds - please help IDUSAAF Airbase finds - please help IDUSAAF Airbase finds - please help IDUSAAF Airbase finds - please help IDUSAAF Airbase finds - please help IDUSAAF Airbase finds - please help IDUSAAF Airbase finds - please help IDUSAAF Airbase finds - please help IDUSAAF Airbase finds - please help IDUSAAF Airbase finds - please help ID
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF Airbase finds - please help ID   USAAF Airbase finds - please help ID  

USAAF Airbase finds - please help ID  
    Last edited by Safariman; 01-28-2019 at 06:50 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement USAAF Airbase finds - please help ID
    P
    Many

Default Hi Guys - WW2 Fanatic here and loving this forum

Hi Guys

Ever since I was young I have always been fascinated by the second World War and love reading, watching and hunting for anything to do with it. As a young boy my parents moved us to South Africa for a brighter future and it was there that at 18 I was forced into National Service in the South African Defense Force and ended up in the South West African border war with Swapo (Angola / Russians). I experienced first hand the realities of war and this only increased my respect and understanding of what those wonderful men and women on all sides went through in the Second World War. Since returning to live in the UK in 2012 I have found myself surrounded by a host of wonderful USAAF air bases which I explore on a regular basis and have now started to photograph some of the finds that emerge from the ploughed fields and have recently started to bring home and clean up some of the smaller finds which is really fascinating. This has obviously only been done since asking permission to do so and only for surface finds as I do not have a metal detector. I have managed to identify a lot of the items but some are just way above my knowledge and understanding so I have been fortunate to obtain some direct help from one of the wonderful members of this forum.

I was also extremely lucky to be handed down my grandfathers diaries from 44 /45 of the Second World War which he kept meticulously. He was a AA Gunner in the 8th Army doing duty in North Africa and then Sicily and Italy. Its wonderful to be able to relive the days as he experienced them and the places he visited. I was also very lucky to obtain with his diaries a copy of the The two Types which was issued to him while in Italy and also a German Wehrmacht Armband and passbook that he obtained from a German Soldier that washed up on a beach (they did obviously give the soldier a proper burial and this was all noted in the Diary). Unfortunately the front page of the passbook is missing so I do not have the soldiers name but its wonderful looking through who has signed it and the places he had been. I also received all my grandfathers medals and forms for the War so will treasure that for ever.

I would love to get to know some of the member here who enjoy USAAF bases and have some knowledge of relics that come out of them but also would love to chat to some German forum members regarding the passbook from the dead German soldier.

Fantastic forum guys I love reading through all the posts and will be a regular here from now on.

Look forward to hearing from you guys

Regards
    Neil

From one enthusiast to another, welcome to the forum!

Regards, B.B.

Thanks very much B.B.

?

Welcome!

That is always exciting with family members diaries or memoirs. Respect to your grandfather.

My grand dad left memoirs which also covers the years 1940-1945 when he was a student living in occupied Odessa and later his service in RKKA from Spring 1944. Unfortunately, I came to appreciate it fully only after he passed away...
    Some bits of his memoirs should be available here in English:
    Who is interested in my granddad's memoirs? -

Armchair General and HistoryNet >> The Best Forums in History

Thanks Egorka

Yes lovely to read and try to envisage. I never knew my grandfather he died when I was 2

Regards
    Neil

Do I need to be approved before I can start showing some pictures for ID or in the case of the German Passbook for possible info on people that have signed it and also places where the soldier had been and what he might have been doing???

yes wait for Admin approval ...or try posting somewhere on the forum.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Neil,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service to your country.. There are many veterans on here from various countries military organizations. In that alone you belong to a time honored membership, You are now joining another group of veteran and new collectors..

Fascinating story about your relatives diary and keepsakes. They are indeed cherished items that help link us to the past. For all I know, your Grandfather may have seen many of my relatives on Sicily when the island was liberated.. My mother's family is from Palermo, Sicily and the surrounding area. Patton and Montgomery both had contributed to the liberation of my mother's parents homeland...

Looking forward to seeing your collection and hearing more of your service..

Best regards

Smitty

Hi Smitty

Thanks for your wonderful reply. I have a wonderful book given to my Grandad either on Sicily or before they arrived called "A soldiers Guide to Sicily" - wonderful Reading. He also wrote a poem (or as he called it a "ditty") about their first night on the beaches of Sicily and being bombed by the German planes. They were all amazing people - so much respect.

Look forward to keeping in touch

Regards
    Neil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast