Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Amerikadeutscher Volksbund stick pin

Article about: I have been in search of one of these American German Bund pins for awhile now, ever since I became aware of them. I recently had the opportunity to participate in a live auction that had on

?

Default Amerikadeutscher Volksbund stick pin

I have been in search of one of these American German Bund pins for awhile now, ever since I became aware of them. I recently had the opportunity to participate in a live auction that had one to offer for a starting bid of $250. Needless to say I was excited regardless of my reservations on the authenticity of such a pin. Not that this particular one did not fit all the criteria of a legitimate version but rather if it in fact existed at all. I spent about two weeks prior to the auction attempting to research the pin to no avail. All internet searches led to the same 2-3 posts on this forum and the WAF forum. The consensus seemed to be that they were in fact rare and that the stick pin version was most likely original while the brooch version was a widely faked copy being sold in the UK. I only saw one being sold on a UK website for over 450 euros. The images that came up seemed to be confined to 2-3 examples. I was also unable to find any period photo's of the pin in wear or use. The one book written on the subject matter claimed that while this pin was often copied there were still some originals in circulation. Essentially I could not prove or disprove the originality so I convinced myself that I might be missing out on a one time opportunity. The fact that the auction was taking place in upstate New York, the birthplace of the movement only acted to reinforce in my mind that it might be legitimate. The pin also included original newspaper clippings of the Bund association. So based on the preponderance of the evidence I bid and won the lot.
    When the pin arrived I examined it and it looked really good to the naked eye. It seemed to be a good quality pin with real glass enamel. As I took macro photographs I began to notice parallel scratches on the surface resembling sanding marks. I started to have doubts and decided to reach out to Jo Rivett in order to have the pin properly examined under the microscope. The examination revealed in fact that the pin is fake that was probably produced in the 1970's. I will not post the link to the video because I don't want to cause problems with people who take issue with Jo's humor and language. I must say however that Jo was extremely friendly, helpful and professional in his dealings with me. You can go onto You Tube and search "German American Bund AV Fake exposed" by Micro Macro. The video scientifically exposes all the flaws in the badge and debunks it completely, however if you can't handle a little cursing and sophomoric humor please don't bother. I don't want to hear how you are offended or otherwise. I'm simply posting this thread to prevent other collectors from making the same mistake I made buying something based on my emotions. In the end I paid nearly $350 for this worthless bauble. For anyone who owns one you can make your own decision based on you own criteria. I apologize for this long winded thread but I couldn't condense it any further. Feel free to move this to the appropriate area of the forum if it is not correct.

Sincerely, Al.

Amerikadeutscher Volksbund stick pinAmerikadeutscher Volksbund stick pin

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Amerikadeutscher Volksbund stick pin
    P
    Many

My condolences Al. A shame the pin turned out to be a dud, I know the extent of your collection and the pride you take in your pieces and displays. I too find the history of the bund a really fascinating subject, and know how difficult it is to find genuine items from the era. Take comfort in knowing you helped fellow collectors by bringing this piece to light and therefore saving others time money and frustration. As I said before Jo is an acquired taste but credit where it's due..he does his due diligence and makes some very interesting points based in fact through intensive study. His videos are worth a watch imo. Kindest regards.

Brian

?

Just a few more pics to show how stunning the pin is and the ephemera it came with.

?

This is how blatantly fake or fantasy items gain respectability in our field of collecting. As an item becomes accepted as original based soley on opinions, they begin to appear in publications and websites. Which of course lends to their credibility by virtue of the fact that they are in print or on the internet. Vicious circle, Catch 22 ? Bottom line, do your homework, ask questions, don't buy the story, disregard the other goodies bundled into the deal to lend credibility, and don't blindly accept that dealers and so called "experts" will be honest.

Apparently I got a deal when this pin is listed as being worth 450 euros in this reputable reference book

Here is a website that uses this very pin to illustrate how to determine the authenticity of a Third Reich pin. This is the definition of Irony

?

I Thought I'd post some examples of what real bund pins exist out there and a link to Jo Rivett's website.

Parteiabzeichen

Credit: Jo Rivett

?

Here is an example of a rare 1930's Frauenschaft Badge of the German American Bund being currently offered on a website.

?

Another one has surfaced on emedals. I'm curious to see how high this one goes.

United States. A German American Bund Membership Pin, by Apollo Jewelry - Auctions
    Regards, Al