Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Coburg badge at auction

Article about: Hi All - I noticed this Coburg badge for sale in an upcoming European auction. I spent some time looks at old threads here and at the WA forum, and I don't see any significant 'red flags'. I

?

Default Coburg badge at auction

Hi All - I noticed this Coburg badge for sale in an upcoming European auction. I spent some time looks at old threads here and at the WA forum, and I don't see any significant 'red flags'. I also looked the Coburg badge website which is a terrific compilation of photographs and information about the Coburg badge and associated materials.

The opening bid is €3,000. I expect if original it will go for nearly 3x that price. I would appreciate any thoughts or comments! John

Coburg badge at auction

Coburg badge at auction

Coburg badge at auction

Coburg badge at auction

Coburg badge at auction

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Coburg badge at auction
    P
    Many

A nice 2nd pattern badge.

I once owned a 1st pattern badge along with a large collection of Coburg related items.

Quote by Erich S View Post
    …I once owned a 1st pattern badge along with a large collection of Coburg related items…
    I remember your quite spectacular Coburg themed collection very well Erich. As for the badge which started this thread, I agree that it is a good example of the “second pattern” type.

Regards and best wishes,

David

?

Thank you for the responses.

Erich, when you offered your opinion I was very pleased to see it, as your deep knowledge and experience on these political items is very apparent on this forum and the WA forum!

Glad I could help and good luck on the CB.

?

The auction has ended and calculating sale price and auction premium, this badge sold for approximately USD $11,000. It sold for a little more than I thought. It seems as if the auction results were very strong. I bid on a political visor and a couple SA kepis, but they went for more than I was prepared to pay.

Late comer to this thread. From the list of known Coburg badges and taken from WA Forum, it seems that the type II Coburg badge is rarer thant the type 1. I found a list of owners and type Coburg badge in their collection. If memory is correct there are in the WA Forum community 39 type I and 23 type II known. Not certain how far out from there that actual numbers of original Coburg badges there are but it is obvious the Coburg badge is truly 1 rare badge. I see this sales price above and am astounded as the prices are catching up to knights crosses and I think in a few more years the price just may double. I bought a 2nd type from Steve Wolfe back in the mid to late 80's and the today paltry sum is blowing my mind at the price this listed at auction Coberg badge sold for!

Hmm interesting but I doubt the Coburg badge type II is rarer than type I… I haven’t held an exact record but in fact to me it seems to be the contrary.
    The type I was awarded to the first 436 recipients and is more prestigious. It is more sought after and also commands higher prices

The type 2 badges were for honor awards by Hitler and for those holders of the 1st pattern as a replacement or extra badge.
    The pins on the 1st pattern badges were very fragile and were prone to breakage.

Clarification, per the account of existing Coburg badge examples there were 39 1st types in WAF members hands were the 2nd issue there were listed 23 in WAF members hands.

if you extrapolate that by any number you choose, existing 2nd issue badges are a lower # in existence today.

Also upcoming HH end of November auction has a second type CB to bid on.