Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Info requested about this patch

Article about: I was wondering if anybody out there has an idea what branch of the NSDAP this patch represents? I believe it is a Sport Patch to be worn on an athletic shirt- but that is only my idea. It i

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Default Info requested about this patch

I was wondering if anybody out there has an idea what branch of the NSDAP this patch represents? I believe it is a Sport Patch to be worn on an athletic shirt- but that is only my idea. It is small for a Sport Patch - approx. 9.5 cm x 11.5 cm. Any idea what it is worth? Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Info requested about this patch  

2. # ADS

Default Re: Info requested about this patch

look like SA early pattern eagle !

Wuerstenfuchs
    ?

Any ideas HOW early? I have an SA Sport Patch, and it has "SA" on it - in runes, of course. How about value? Any clues? Ideas?

The pattern of eagle look to me early ! But i am not specialits

More likely for a political leader than SA.

Cheers, Ade.

?

These are considered to be the 1st pattern Political Leaders' sport shirt eagle.
    Erich

This would be first pattern SA/SS/NSDAP eagle but it is a fake. There is only one original that is known to exist. When you compare the 2 together the original is more silky smooth and along the out side of the black border there is no halo effect like you can see on this patch. This patch should glow under a UV light.

I would seriously doubt that only one example of this patch exists. These items, even early ones, were produced in very large lots. As I have never been interested in sport shirt insignia, I never owned one. However, over the years, I have seen several.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

The key word is "known" and yes there is only one known to exist and one of the NSBO, that does not mean it is the only one. In order to make a fake like this you would need a pattern or an original to go by. The consensus of those who do specialize in sport insignia including my self agree at this point that there are several good post war fakes on the market that are not obvious fakes. This includes the following. NSBO, gray NSFK, small police, SS, and DLV. The DLV, NSBO and the SA/SS/NSDAP that is in question are groups and patterns that predate the material used for these items. The original NSBO and SA/SS/NSDAP are more like silk and vary smooth to the touch. NSBO was merged with DAF in 1935 and DLV was dissolved in 1937. The Eagle design that was made by Hitler, and is used in the patch above, witch was first used by the SA, then the SS and later by the NSDAP was short lived witch brings into question the material used in the one above, witch is way different then that of the original. There are several tests that can be done to determine fakes. First the glow test, If you use a UV light on any of the ones listed they will glow. What does this mean? 2 things, materials where not synthetic and natural material at the time would not glow or they where washed with brightener. So does that mean any thing that glows is a fake? No, it does not. During WW2 detergent did not have brighteners in it to make our clothing bright, with that said brighteners did exist but rarely used by common German folk and would not be used on un circulated items such as that above. If you take a bright colored non glowing patch today and wash it with detergent it will now glow under UV light.
    Burn test. Take a loose thread from the design and light it with a lighter. 2 things will happen if it is the right material. 1 is that it will burn fast, this is because there is no fire retardant used in fabric at this time. 2nd it will have a natural smell like burnt hair, leaf or wood. If it burns slow that means there is fire retardant in it witch is used in modern material, also if it looks plastic when burning it is a synthetic material and of course if it smells like burnt plastic it is fake. Also do the test with the backing material. The gray NSFK thread passes the test but the fabric does not.
    Twisted thread. under a magnify glass you will see if the thread is twisted together or straight. If it is straight then it is a fake if it is twisted it is a sign of an original, however this is true for modern day fakes and not necessarily true for early post war fakes.
    If the entire back is covered with threading then it is a fake. Remember glow tests only work on bright colors.
    My rule of thumb is an item can fail a glow test but must pass all the other test's.
    I will post photos of known fakes.

FAKEInfo requested about this patchInfo requested about this patch

Not fakeInfo requested about this patchInfo requested about this patch

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast