Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NSDAP house flag 370x115 cm - real or fake?

Article about: Good evening dear collectors and experts!✌️ I recently bought two NSDAP flags. One made of flax does not shine under UV (Ultraviolet) lamps and is 100% real, but the white circle of anot

Default NSDAP house flag 370x115 cm - real or fake?

Good evening dear collectors and experts!✌️
    I recently bought two NSDAP flags.
    One made of flax does not shine under UV (Ultraviolet) lamps and is 100% real, but the white circle of another large house NSDAP flag shines under UV. This flag is not made of flax, but of cotton.
    Is this big house flag real or a fake?
    (On the photo with two flags - on the left the original small flax flag; on the right - the large house flag made of cotton for comparison).
    Thanks in advance for the opinions.
    Best regards
    Panzer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NSDAP house flag 370x115 cm - real or fake?   NSDAP house flag 370x115 cm - real or fake?  

NSDAP house flag 370x115 cm - real or fake?   NSDAP house flag 370x115 cm - real or fake?  

NSDAP house flag 370x115 cm - real or fake?   NSDAP house flag 370x115 cm - real or fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NSDAP house flag 370x115 cm - real or fake?
    P
    Many

?

Hello, did you read any of the past threads on this subject ?
    UV Light for blacklight test
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

UV lights are not definitive at all, I would hazard against using them much. By the look of it both flags are original, if they have been washed with a semi modern cleaner over the years they will glow.
    I see no problem with these flags.

Morris

?

Quote by KMMorris View Post
    UV lights are not definitive at all, I would hazard against using them much. By the look of it both flags are original, if they have been washed with a semi modern cleaner over the years they will glow.
    I see no problem with these flags.

Morris

Both flags look fine to me.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Agreed with what others have mentioned..

Although a blacklight is useful for identifying types of fabrics (100% cotton vs synthetic for example) the blacklight test if not used properly could alter someone's thoughts on what would be an original item and deem it reproduction..

As mentioned, laundry detergents have phosphorescence chemicals in the soap crystals in order to preserve and brighten colors of clothes and these chemicals will cause the "glow" often seen after being washed...

Based on what I am seeing the both flags meet the criteria and characteristics of pre May 1945 flags thus being Third Reich period original.

Stitching pattern looks period authentic as well as fabric..

No issues with these 2 flags

Smitty

?

Hello,
    Rakkasan, you mention about stitching pattern looking correct. What type or style of stitching is correct for these flags and should it be the same for all 3rd reich flags?
    thank you
    Duzig(Bill)

?

Not to speak for Rakkasan, but it would make sense that each manufacturer and sewing person may have had their own style or flair, I cannot imagine even the Reichszeugmeisterei would have a stitch count or pattern in place for each individual flag / armbands and even tunics, let alone private manufacturers and tailors, but we have seen many examples of handiwork.

?

Gwar, thanks for your comment. That is part of the reason why I ask about the stitching because I have heard other comments about the type of stitching patterns of flags but never really any explanations as to what is meant by that and what to look for so that's why I ask.
    Duzig(Bill)

Bill,

Great question in regards to the type of stitching used.. After examining and collecting flags and armbands for a number of years you will start to see the stitch patterns used when constructing multipiece flags and armbands and you will notice similarities with multiple flags/armbands next to each other. Cross stitching, zigzag and other methods were used as GWAR has mentioned. In addition, based on the set up of the sewing machines the stitch method may be indicative of a particular manufacturer but as far as I know there were no mandatory stitch regulations or requirements that a manufacturer would use.

Having multiple items made by the same manufacturer side by side for comparison helps but is sometimes challenging if/when they lack manufacturers labels.

Unfortunately one of the more knowledgeable individuals that I know about Third Reich flags recently passed away. Ben K. Weed had a wealth of knowledge and may have known more about this topic, but when I have some time I will look through some older correspondence to see if I can find you a more concrete answer..

@ GWAR

Thanks again my friend for the assist and additional information...

Best regards to all, stay safe

Smitty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast