Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Stick Pin Collection

Article about: This is a nice variety of stick pins I have collected in the last few months. The NSFK & SA pins are particularly nice and really detailed. The NSSK pin on the far right is made of a pla

?

I gave myself a bump on this thread to see if anyone can help me out with the SA pin and the modified SS pin I posted above. All comments and opinions, positive or negative are welcome.

Thanks, Al.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stick Pin Collection
    P
    Many

Apologies as I can't answer your question on the SA or the SS pins, I know nothing about stick pins, but these photos of your collection are quite inspiring. I've seen stick pins for sale pretty sparingly here and there at antique shops and the like, but I've always passed them by. I may myself start picking some up, as your collection shows, they are very striking when displayed as a group. My question for you is if there are any general rules of thumb for stick pins? There seems to be multitudes of types and I can see it being quite easy to get lost in all of it!

Thanks for showing your collection, you have a great display.

?

Generally speaking, stick pins are just miniature representations of combat badges or organizations (military, political, or civilian) to be worn while in civilian clothes. You basically have to be aware of known examples to avoid buying fantasy items. A book like Katalog der Abzeichen by Husken is a great basic reference for many known pins. Just be aware that the book does list a few known fakes. Also start perusing the stick pin and tinnie sections on militaria websites to become aware of the different types. Third Reich pins almost always have a knurled pin with few exceptions. Also just need to examine them for quality, as you can see in some of my photo's they contain a lot of detail. I also avoid pins that appear to have been resoldered on the reverse. Enameled pins are often faked but if you examine them closely for quality detail as you would find in a full sized badge you should be OK. Collecting stick pins is very addictive as they are relatively inexpensive when you first start out and they take up little space. Feel free to post anything you come across that you may have questions about on this thread for discussion.

Regards, Al.

Hi Al,
    I know someone who might be able to answer your questions. Are you a member
    over at WAF or is you are not, would you mind if I shared your pictures?

Greg
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Hi Greg, I'm not a WAF member but feel free to post the pics. Thanks, Al.

PM sent
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Default Deutsche Weehrmact- Heer / Kriegsmarine Stick Pins

I thought I'd photograph some groups of stick pins from my collection and go into a little detail on each. I'm using the Husken Katalog der Abzeichen as a reference. While this book does have it's flaws and contains numerous known fakes, it nonetheless is the most comprehensive book on the subject matter at my disposal. This first group of pins are the common Wehrmacht eagle pins you see for sale on most websites. My understanding is that these pins were worn by members of the Wehrmacht while in civilian clothes. The gold gilted pin on the left is presumably for Kriegsmarine and the other two are for Heer. Notice the difference in detail from pin to pin. The center pin has fine detailing of the feathers and a hammerhead style eagle. The other two are softer in detail and have pigeon head style eagles. The Husken book classifies the same pin with different names, Deutsche Wehrmact- Heer Ziviliabzeichen (Heer Civilian Badge) and Deutsche Wehrmact- Heer Anstecknadel der Offiziersbewerber (Heer Officer's Candidate Stick pin.) Unfortunately the pictures in the book are not detailed enough to differentiate which is which. These pins although common, are very striking in appearance.

Stick Pin Collection

Stick Pin Collection

?

Default Deutsche Wehrmact-Luftwaffe

This next group are Luftwaffe eagles. The gold eagles, second and fourth from the left, are the 2nd pattern Civilian gilded pin (Zivilabzeichen vergoldet), the first pattern being the droop tail variety commonly referred to as "Condor Legion" eagles.

Stick Pin CollectionStick Pin Collection

Stick Pin Collection

Stick Pin Collection

Stick Pin Collection
    (First Pattern, included as reference, not part of my collection)

The third eagle from the left in silver is identified in the Husken book as (Dienstnadel der Luftnachrichtenhelferinnen) which I tried to translate online and got different meanings ranging from service pin for airmail helpers to ambulance helpers. I just assumed it was first pattern droop tail eagle in silver. Note the difference in detail from the other gold eagles.

Stick Pin Collection

The first eagle on the left is a Flak Helpers Pin (Heimat-und Alarflakartillierie) For some unknown reason this pin is listed in the Husken book as being rare and worth 400 euros That is highly unlikely as I see these for sale all the time ranging between $40 and $100.

Stick Pin Collection

?

Default NSDAP Political Pins

Here are a few Political eagles. I don't know much else about them but you can see the wide variety of shapes and sizes. The one on the far right is an early pattern type.

Stick Pin Collection

Stick Pin Collection

Stick Pin Collection

Stick Pin Collection

Keep em coming Al. A fantastic collection of pins! kindest regards.

Brian

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast