Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Unknown Motorist cap badge. Wheel with wings.

Article about: Hello guys! I've just bought this badge on a german fleamarket. It definetly looks old but I have never seen it before. Its approx. 3,5x3,5cm tall and made out of Brass. I believe it to be a

Default Unknown Motorist cap badge. Wheel with wings.

Hello guys!

I've just bought this badge on a german fleamarket.
    It definetly looks old but I have never seen it before.

Its approx. 3,5x3,5cm tall and made out of Brass.

I believe it to be an 20s or 30s german motorciclists cap (or maybe collar?) badge, but I want to know weather it is military, paramilitary, civil,party or public Transport in origin.

Please let me know your thoughts about it.
    Thanks and greetings from northern germany!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Motorist cap badge. Wheel with wings.   Unknown Motorist cap badge. Wheel with wings.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Unknown Motorist cap badge. Wheel with wings.
    P
    Many

Ps. Ive googled a lot for any possible description of the badge like "Flügelrad", "geflügelter Reifen ", "wheel with wings", driver cap or collar insignia but I Was not able to find an exact Match.
    I've also compared ww1 and ww2 photos of drivers from many nations.
    I now believe it to be a motorcycle or car drivers badge from the 1910s to 1950s, because I found some remotely similar ones online.
    Even today variations of the Design are used in Police Motorcycle units and armys all over the World.
    If anyone has ever seen this badge please share your thoughts with us!
    Greetings from northern germany!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Motorist cap badge. Wheel with wings.   Unknown Motorist cap badge. Wheel with wings.  

Unknown Motorist cap badge. Wheel with wings.   Unknown Motorist cap badge. Wheel with wings.  

Its your lucky day... Noted authority and author, Wilhelm Saris spotted your post and asked me to pass on some information to you, he cannot do so himself because he was banned from the forum for what several of us consider to be a minor disagreement with another member.

But back to the badge in question. Wim says that the badge is covered in one of his TR 'Headgear' series of books, Volume 7 - page 51 to be exact. In the Deumer catalogue of that period it is listed as item number 12657 and is described as: STRASSENBAHN - OMNIBUSSCHAFFNER'. The Friedrich Linden catalogue offered it as item number 4350 - and it was also available in polished gilt.

Wim also says that if you are a collector of such insignia, you should invest in good quality books on the subject - such as the ones written by him! I would say that is damned good advice too!

Cheers,
    Steve

Many thanks to Wim and you Harry!
    It puzzled me, that I could not find any Information about it, now I'm very happy to know what it is!
    I'm slowly building up a good collection of books on the Subject, and His books are now on my whishlist !

Many thanks again and greetings from northern germany!