Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Early 17mm party badges

Article about: Here are 3 early 17mm mm party badges I just picked up,opinions welcome Thanks in advance

Quote from previous post:These badges were known as the ABZEICHEN DER BURDEZEIT (badge of the times of burden), due to the era in which they were created, i.e. late in 1923 following the ban of the NSDAP and hence, the lack of NSDAP logo on the badges. So if I'm thinking correctly here and unless I m wrong the Deutschland Erwache badge and the party badge would of been produced at a later date I'm not certain of the year but surely later than the nun erst badge 1923, yet all bear the same reverses. I realize there are other manufactureres and variants etc. But it's odd at best. Understand I hate to be the con or bad guy but there's alot of irregularities with these badges. Hopefully someone else more well versed with these early examples will chime in. But they are bad imho. Best regards.

Brian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early 17mm party badges
    P
    Many

Yeah, it is tough. Brians' point about the fake looking aging is a good one. Also, the swastika does look just a touch too wonky in the way the border swings wildly in thickness where the original is rather uniform around the entire perimeter. If it were me, based on what I see now, I would have to pass on all three. But yes, buying a fake or two, or several, can be an unfortunate part of the learning curve. I passed on a very nice KVK 1KL because the maker and the reverse hardware didn't seem to go together. It was a "buy it now or it will be gone" scenario, and I couldn't bring myself to go for it. That and 3 cars that needed brake jobs helped make up my mind!
    Last edited by carpediem; 08-29-2017 at 11:53 PM.

Early 17mm party badgesEarly 17mm party badgesEarly 17mm party badgesEarly 17mm party badges

I must admit I half to eat a little crow. The OP's party badge was originally posted for review prior to purchase. I did in that thread give it a like but didn't comment on it. At a glance especially the reverse it was convincing and I did think it looked period. But the three posted badges together gave me pause, again while initially I focused on the other badges giving the party badge a quick pass once more. To clarify I still think the OP's badge's overall quality is lacking especially the enamel work with regards to the lettering. The S's all have a noticeable differences in shape even compared to similar badges of the same period which too are rather crude but they exhibit more consistency I think. I will post pictures to illustrate my thoughts. The upper badge is from the OP with the letter S singled out. The lower example is from the forum again I feel in the same timeframe production wise and is a S&L piece with the S letters again singled out.

Early 17mm party badgesEarly 17mm party badgesEarly 17mm party badgesEarly 17mm party badges

Here is my own pre-RZM badge. The font looks different from when I look at the OPs parteiabzeichen and erwache. Mine has different formations to the letter S in that they are not all exactly the same, but overall they look similar. But what I mean about the OPs party badge, and the erwache badge for that matter, is the shape of the S looking too perfect. Also, the OPs party badge has quite a difference in the letter A form.
    I don't know. At the end of the day, I would avoid the three. Maybe someone with many more years experience could shed some light on these pieces, but as of right now I am not a fan either.
    I would be okay with being wrong though!
    Early 17mm party badges

Just sent photos to jo rivett for appraisal and he has given the thumbs up,all 3 are correct and original 😁Happy days..

Confirmed
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early 17mm party badges  

Happy to stand corrected! Congrats on your good news, I m happy all things turned out well.

Brian

Doohdah could you please post profile pictures of the badges when time permits? In one of the threads I attached the "dish" was a point of contention, in regards to early original/fake badges (I think the Erwache badge in particular?) And I wanted to see that aspect of yours, more so for others that may come across this tread in the future, looking for signs of good vs bad. Thanks again for the update.

Brian
    Last edited by bsiwula1; 08-30-2017 at 03:33 PM.

I'll post profile pics for reference tonight
    Thanks for all the input

Geoff

Profile pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early 17mm party badges   Early 17mm party badges  

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast