Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Early 17mm party badges

Article about: Here are 3 early 17mm mm party badges I just picked up,opinions welcome Thanks in advance

Default Early 17mm party badges

Here are 3 early 17mm mm party badges I just picked up,opinions welcome
    Thanks in advance
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Early 17mm party badges   Early 17mm party badges  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Early 17mm party badges
    P
    Many

Hello Doodah. I hate to say but I have concerns. The badges in general all have similar newish look to them and seem to be falsely aged. Also the fact that each badge has the same reverse markings right down to the little star beneath the pin attachment plate is a concern, almost as if they were made as a set. I m including two attached threads that cover in detail the problems with each the nun erst recht, and Deutschland Erwache badges in particular.

Post#5&6 by mark

Deutschland Erwache 1933 badge authentic?

Post#9 by Carl

NUN ERST RECHT 'now more than ever' badge

Best regards

Brian

Also of concern is the general lack of quality of the obverse enamel work. I know Carl said the nun erst recht badge will exhibit poor quality compared to later badges, but if you look at the picture I ve cropped you will see where the outer brass perimeter of the swastika and the inner circle touch and appear to run together sloppily (at the O and the S, and the N and the C of each badge respectively). Shows very poor workmanship. Just an observation. Comparable images from posted threads of badges deemed good.

Early 17mm party badgesEarly 17mm party badgesEarly 17mm party badges

Also of note the DE and Party badges (your examples) both exhibit the same crackled/aged appearance of the background white enamel.

Brian

I actually think the "NUN ERST RECHT" badge may be good and the others not. Here is an image of an accepted genuine example from Jo Rivetts site;
    Early 17mm party badges
    Notice how closely the letters and swastika match the OPs' example. The markings on the back are the same also. I will say however, the badge from Jo Rivetts site is a 19mm example and not a 17mm.
    There was no example of a "Deutschland Erwache" with those markings on the reverse.

The nun erst recht badge was checked from jo rivetts site before I purchased ,the others came from different sources,my question is that if jo rivett doesn't show an example on his site does it mean
    It's automatically a fake..

I'm not saying it's impossible but imo highly improbable. It may be redundant but it helps me to compare images of each. If the badge you posted is ok by Jo I'm not going to dispute that but compare it closely to the OP's I think the differences are telling. The irregular outer perimeter thickness of the swas border, The stylized wheat character and O at the badge bottom, the clarity of the red enamel and pebbling. And the verdigris like appearance on the reverse? The back looks coated so why would it age in such a way? Just my observations but I appreciate a counterpoint and I d be happy to be wrong especially for Doohdah. Kindest regards.

Brian

Early 17mm party badgesEarly 17mm party badgesEarly 17mm party badgesEarly 17mm party badges

Of course not, however the chances of it being a fake rise quite a bit. It is likely the other two are not genuine. The font on the "Deutschland Erwache" badge looks too perfect. The font also seems too good on the parteiabzeichen. It is a tough call though because, like Brian says, the patina on the reverse seems faked.

Quote by Doohdah View Post
    The nun erst recht badge was checked from jo rivetts site before I purchased ,the others came from different sources,my question is that if jo rivett doesn't show an example on his site does it mean
    It's automatically a fake..
    So are you saying the nun erst recht badge was vetted by Jo? Or just that you compared it to the one on his site?

Brian

If the other two turn out to be bad ,have other examples been seen or am I unlucky enough to find two very uncommon fakes..

It wasn't vetted by jo ,I just did a comparison and perhaps not well enough,if it is bad at a dam good copy,all part of the learning curve I suppose..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast