Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Late Production M33 NSKK Dienstdolch Dagger & Scabbard 1941 M7/66 Carl Eickhorn

Article about: I recently acquired this dagger from a long time friend and partner in a large box of bayonets. He had spotted the dagger and deemed it a "fake" and the shadow that his doubt cast

Default Late Production M33 NSKK Dienstdolch Dagger & Scabbard 1941 M7/66 Carl Eickhorn

I recently acquired this dagger from a long time friend and partner in a large box of bayonets. He had spotted the dagger and deemed it a "fake" and the shadow that his doubt cast did not compel me to examine it any further.

I was visiting my parents the same day I received the blades and I let them take a look at the lot. Both of my parents were jewelers and have been dealing in antiques since the late 60s. My Father also worked as a welder for over 50 years, and just as much time pursuing 18th & 19th Century blacksmithing as a hobby. Upon examination of the dagger they quickly dismissed my belief it was a "fake" as they noted all the merits of it's fine construction. The deepness and sharpness of the engraved motto, the clear cross-graining of the blade, the fit of the wooden grip and the quality of the enamel SA insignia were all strong points that were hard to argue. The quality of components and craftmanship would seemingly outweigh the profit of passing off a fake...or would it?? I have never owned an M33 Dagger and have no "references" to go by, and neither of my parents have handled a piece like it before that day.

Upon very close inspection all components appear to be made from high quality materials and the fit and finish are very consistent with other Third Reich daggers I do own. The RZM stamp looks like it might be "acid etched" like those found on Luftwaffe gravity knives, and the appearance was comparable with examples I have on hand. I have found several other 1941 Carl Eickhorn examples and they also appear to be very similar to the dagger in question. The detail of the Party Eagle is very fine and the Copper tone appears to be a base layer metal exposed after the original Silver wash wore off from handling. I found an M33 that sold and claimed the Copper Eagle was original (You are being redirected...) Another 1941 Eickhorn NSKK Dagger is currently listed here (NSKK Dagger By Carl Eickhorn Solingen I WW2 German Militaria). The pommel nut appears to show no signs of marring and looks as if it might not have been turned after production.

The scabbard is exceptionally clean and of equal quality as the dagger. The black finish is strong and only shows mild traces of age and handling. It does appear to be black paint but I cannot say this for certain. The throat and ferrule are both clean and the hardware is identical to other period examples I can find images of. No markings can be found anywhere on it.

As the SA and NSKK Dagger appear to only be distinguishable by their scabbards, does this pair look to be a genuine pair? Are the black scabbards the same for SS Daggers? Fit, finish, weight and patina all seem to be there but I simply have no experience with these blades. Any and all insights and opinions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late Production M33 NSKK Dienstdolch Dagger & Scabbard 1941 M7/66 Carl Eickhorn   Late Production M33 NSKK Dienstdolch Dagger & Scabbard 1941 M7/66 Carl Eickhorn  

Late Production M33 NSKK Dienstdolch Dagger & Scabbard 1941 M7/66 Carl Eickhorn   Late Production M33 NSKK Dienstdolch Dagger & Scabbard 1941 M7/66 Carl Eickhorn  

Late Production M33 NSKK Dienstdolch Dagger & Scabbard 1941 M7/66 Carl Eickhorn   Late Production M33 NSKK Dienstdolch Dagger & Scabbard 1941 M7/66 Carl Eickhorn  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Late Production M33 NSKK Dienstdolch Dagger & Scabbard 1941 M7/66 Carl Eickhorn
    P
    Many

Just also wanted to state for the record the overwhelming and unexpected importance of maintaining a strong reference library. I was scratching my head for awhile concerning what I perceived to be a mis-matched scabbard but upon pulling out one of the few reference books I own on Third Reich Daggers I got pretty close to my answer on the front cover! Really does pay to invest in the books AND spend the time reading them, wish I could find more time to do just that.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late Production M33 NSKK Dienstdolch Dagger & Scabbard 1941 M7/66 Carl Eickhorn  

Just realize that not everything in books is infallible; especially early publications/editions.
    The internet and personal handling of known originals have to be added as well.
    Books are indeed the first place to begin the lifelong journey of learning.
    That is true especially in 3rd Reich items.

Veteran acquired pieces are almost entirely gone as the vets are almost entirely gone - in 50 years I have personally vet acquired 4 Herman Goring daggers - or so the vet said. I didn't argue, just bought the dagger anyway. The last was in Plano Tx. in the 60's right in front of the vet's son!

A dash of common sense also helps. Rember the early daggers had 10 or so years and a war on them before they could have the vet opportunity for acquisition. The reverse is true for later dated items.

Nice dagger.

Hi Komet...the dagger appears all good ...the only observation that unseats me alittle is that the grip eagle may have been replaced as seen with those punch marks seen on the upper right wing..that someone failed to execute.

Sometimes its those little details that can make or break someones confidence and I call it as I see it. Its something more to research about and I can not see this dagger leaving Eickhorns building with that mess on the upper wing....and also the strictness of the RZM marked grip eagles....or is it minute spot welding?
    What ever it is ...it is strange.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry - I have always avoided the SA and SS daggers because of the high number of reproductions on the market and the high "entry fee" associated with collecting these blades. While I enjoy German blades of all shapes and sizes, I prefer pieces that could have been used in the field. While I have put my hands on a few reproduction 84/98 bayonets, it didn't take much else to quickly determine their validity! Daggers, however, are uncharted territory for me and I hope this one will be a good place to start learning more. I am very fortunate to say that my investment is very low on this dagger and I am thankful to be able to treat it's acquisition as a "learning experience." I value all criticisms and critiques, harsh or affirmative. I'd choose the painful truth instead of the perpetuation of a fantasy any day, as collecting pieces like this is about them really having BEEN THERE. Thank you for taking a moment to reply to my recent posts, I appreciate it very much.

The Copper Eagle initially turned me off too, but the overall detail of the Eagle is very strong and consistent with other daggers I could find high quality images of. I found a few references to the Copper tone, though I am not sure how much weight to place on these finds. Lakesidetrader's website on SA Daggers states that some Eagles appear to be made from Copper as it was yet another wash applied to a cheaper base metal in hopes that the Silver wash would adhere better. The info can be found in more detail here: (German Alles Fur Deutschland SA Dagger | Lakesidetrader). I also found an example that had sold recently and the listing description states the Copper Eagle was correct for the "maker and model" and was "rare." Listing: (https://www.gettysburgmuseumofhisto....ran-certified/). The theory involving multiple washes seems plausible in my experience, I own several awards and medals that were washed in various tones and all have aged differently; a few washes have vanished all together.

Like many other Third Reich items that are faked, often times the Eagles are the dead giveaway as they lack the finer details the original pieces possess. I was really impressed when I looked at this Eagle under magnification and also on my computer screen and the details are extremely close to images of verified examples I could find. Of particular interest, I was able to spot what appears to be light traces of a Silver tone wash on the lower wing feathers. This area would have had less contact while being handled than higher portions of the Eagle and for this reason could have been more protected from wear. I agree with you that the condition the Eagle is in now is certainly not the condition it left the factory. However, the detail of the Eagle is very strong and there is a mild roughness to touch that would lead me to believe something foreign has made contact with it.

The areas on the upper wing you mention are "rough" and appear to have been recently incurred. There is also a small chip in the wood underneath the adjacent wing. The marring on the upper wing could possibly be from transportation. Before I received this dagger it had been rolling around in a cardboard box with about a dozen bayonets, it's nothing short of amazing that the scabbard came out as clean as it did. The chip in the wood appears to be old, as the blemish has a patina consistent with suspected age. While there is clear damage to the Eagle and wooden grip in this area, it is also the "high spot" of the grip and would be more vulnerable than any other portion of the handle to make contact. The marks do not look like they are a result of "tapping" or "prying" at the Eagle. The roughness is mild enough that it could easily be removed by a few passes with a jeweler's file but I have left it exactly as found.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late Production M33 NSKK Dienstdolch Dagger & Scabbard 1941 M7/66 Carl Eickhorn  

There have been videos that show the chrome plating process and the last 'strike' before the chrome 'strike' is always copper.

I have been able to find a few SA / NSKK daggers that have sold online with Copper Eagles, please find the links to these examples below:

SA Service Dagger RZM M7/81/40 by Karl Tiegel – Griffin Militaria

Stewarts Military Antiques - - German WWII M1933 SA Enlisted Dagger, RZM M7/81/40 - $275.00

While this Eagle is not overtly "Copper" in color, it appears to be heavily worn with a "copperish" tone showing through under the Silver wash:

Stewarts Military Antiques - - German WWII SA Enlisted Dagger and Hanger, RZM M7/85 Arthur Evertz Mfg - $575.00

The Lakesidetrader also mentions Copper Eagles on their reference page detailing SS M33 Daggers, noting "RZM daggers had nickel, aluminum, zinc or plated eagles. Sometimes these eagles have oxidized and look to have powder on them. Others appear to be copper colored as the plating has gone completely leaving just the copper flash coat visible. Less care was taken with these later daggers and as a result some may appear to have less than perfectly fit eagles."

German Meine Ehre heisst Treue Dagger | Lakesidetrader

As the example I have is dated 1941, and production of these daggers supposedly stopped in 1942, the late hour of production could possibly be a connecting point for the Copper Eagles. This seems to correspond with other similar items like medals, awards and "tinnies" produced later in the War, as the use of cheaper "alloy" metals and colored washes became more prevalent in order to conserve materials needed for the war effort.

Copper grip eagles are normal to see on some late SA RZM daggers...also seen on some SS daggers and late Type C Chained SS daggers.
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you for confirming this Larry. I have been really digging deep on these daggers as I have no previous experience with them. I would like to add this one to my collection but wanted to do my homework before working out a "trade" with my friend. I really try to avoid pieces that have been "messed with" and would rather have something "ugly" and original over a "pretty" parts piece. Really appreciate your help!