Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heer General's Buckle

Article about: This is what I believe to be a Heer generals buckle produced by Overhoff and Cie. I cannot definitively state this is an original Heer general’s buckle but this is what I have found. It is

Default Heer General's Buckle

This is what I believe to be a Heer generals buckle produced by Overhoff and Cie. I cannot definitively state this is an original Heer general’s buckle but this is what I have found.

It is produced in aluminum, roundel is 50mm in diameter and it weighs 15.7 grams.

Looking at the back of the buckle, the style of construction is very similar to earlier SS nickel officer and Overhoff nickel fire police officer buckles.

The aluminum DRK officers buckle, GES. GESCH. ②, has the same style of construction. Its roundel is 50mm and it weighs 16.9 grams.

I’ve attached photos of a Heer tropical offices buckle sold by Lux Military Antiques which appears to be from the same manufacturer as the buckle above.

Links to discussions about similar buckles.

Help needed with some officer belts. LW / Heer / tropical / Police
    Several Heer officers belt buckles
    WH brocade belt ID ?
    Heer Officer Buckle - for review
    nine officers buckles (early Overhoff nickel)
    https://www.lux-military-antiques.co...-tropical-.htm

Heer General's Buckle
    Front

Heer General's Buckle
    Back

Heer General's Buckle
    Overhoff fire police buckle

Heer General's Buckle
    DRK Front

Heer General's Buckle
    DRK Back

Heer General's Buckle
    DRK markings

Heer General's Buckle
    Tropical officer front

Heer General's Buckle
    Tropical officer back

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Heer General's Buckle
    P
    Many

Buckle is original, as to the gold gilt then thats another story. Wim Saris told me after the war Overhoff were still putting on the gold gilt to sell onto Allied Soldiers to take home as war trophies. So I now I always have a problem with these type of buckles
    Ben

I would not doubt that but from what I finding, this buckle variant is uncommon and I have not seen another gold one yet. I would expect to see a lot more of these buckles in circulation.

Hello Douglas...if you compare the details to the one you posted above and also to the one in this link you provided ...the details on yours are not as sharp as seen in the link you provided here > Heer Officer Buckle - for review

The one you posted appears to have painted or globbed over in gold gilt covering over much sharp detail of these type buckles.
    Just my observations.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hello Larry,

The buckle in the thread posted by Kirby is said to have a grey finish. The others are not the same manufacturer.

Except for some early attempts at fire gilding, most original aluminum gold buckles are not painted, they are anodized, which is an electrochemical process. Because of this, I checked to see if it was painted first by rubbing with alcohol and second with acetone. Neither removed the finish. In addition, it appears the buckle parts were anodized before assembly in that front has a more deeper gold finish that the back but there is no over spray that paint would cause.

I don't see where the finished is globbed over and the details of the eagle, background, oak leaves, etc. appear to be well defined.

Thank you,
    Doug

Heer General's Buckle

Heer General's Buckle
    Last edited by Douglas; 06-16-2023 at 03:24 PM.

Can you do a shot like the above of the rear please?
    Ben

Hello Ben,
    Yes, definitely.
    Doug

Heer General's Buckle

Heer General's Buckle

Heer General's Buckle

Heer General's Buckle

Heer General's Buckle

Heer General's Buckle

Another early Overhoff fire police buckle showing the different finish on front part of buckle vs back part of buckle. (not my buckle)

Heer General's Buckle

Heer General's Buckle

Heer General's Buckle

Hello guys,

What do you think about this Assman?
    I Cannot find anything similar online.

Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Heer General's Buckle   Heer General's Buckle  

Heer General's Buckle  

?

Hello Doug,
    If it were anodized, from a purely technical point of view, wouldn't the entire back also be in a golden color due to the manufacturing process???
    Just my 2 cent
    kabl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast