Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Political Leaders Buckles, M4/37 vs. M4/87: Eagle Differences & Desirability

Article about: Hi, guys. I am trying to decide which of these two Political Leader's buckles to purchase (both the same price) and am curious what people's thoughts are on them. The first buckle, M4/87 (Ma

Question Political Leaders Buckles, M4/37 vs. M4/87: Eagle Differences & Desirability

Hi, guys. I am trying to decide which of these two Political Leader's buckles to purchase (both the same price) and am curious what people's thoughts are on them. The first buckle, M4/87 (Matth. Salcher & Sohne AG , Wagstadt (Sudetenland)) seems to me to be in slightly better condition than the 2nd M4/37 (Stefan Merkl, Nurnberg) buckle. Does anyone know or have an opinion as to which maker might be more desirable? I am also curious if one might be an earlier made buckle as the beak/bill of the eagles seem to differ, M4/37 appearing as more of a hook.

Any opinions or info would be greatly appreciated!
    Best,
    Adam
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Political Leaders Buckles, M4/37 vs. M4/87: Eagle Differences & Desirability   Political Leaders Buckles, M4/37 vs. M4/87: Eagle Differences & Desirability  

Political Leaders Buckles, M4/37 vs. M4/87: Eagle Differences & Desirability   Political Leaders Buckles, M4/37 vs. M4/87: Eagle Differences & Desirability  

Political Leaders Buckles, M4/37 vs. M4/87: Eagle Differences & Desirability  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Political Leaders Buckles, M4/37 vs. M4/87: Eagle Differences & Desirability
    P
    Many

Default Re: Political Leaders Buckles, M4/37 vs. M4/87: Eagle Differences & Desirability

The second example appears to have a slightly bent catch...that alone would make me opt for the first example. Just my 0.02cents! Good luck!

Rob

Default Re: Political Leaders Buckles, M4/37 vs. M4/87: Eagle Differences & Desirability

Adam

Here is a little subjective advice that perhaps may not be well received on the forum.

For the moment, forget desirability, rarity, value, investment, re sale potential et al.

Look at the two buckles and buy the one that you like. Buy with your heart rather than your head and choose the PL buckle that once is yours, you are always happy to hold in your hand - with this expression on your face

Regards,

David

?

Quote by David North View Post
    Adam

Here is a little subjective advice that perhaps may not be well received on the forum.

For the moment, forget desirability, rarity, value, investment, re sale potential et al.

Look at the two buckles and buy the one that you like. Buy with your heart rather than your head and choose the PL buckle that once is yours, you are always happy to hold in your hand - with this expression on your face

Regards,

David
    This might just be the soundest advice ever given a collector, and it holds good for all kinds of collectibles. Thank you David!

On the subject of PL buckles, although of a very appealing design (in the sense of it being well-balanced and not as totally over the top as many other items of PL regalia), they seem not to be very desirable to collectors. Try selling one. The manufacturer's identity also doesn't seem to add or reduce price.
    I myself would go for a "mint" one, but that is a purely personal preference. I have such a one, with the paper issue tag still attached, bought long ago, but little hope of seeing a return on my investment if I were ever to put it on sale.

Best regards,
    Kurt

Smile Re: Political Leaders Buckles, M4/37 vs. M4/87: Eagle Differences & Desirability

Thanks for the replies, guys and thanks for the sound & wise advice, David.
    I think that buckles have been a great entry point into collecting TR militaria for me. There are so many different ones out there and it is an affordable place to start.
    David, I think you're absolutely right and that probably all too often collector's get caught-up in things such as rarity/value/investment. As a young collector just starting out I am, of course, interested in and trying to learn about these things. I do think it's important to remember, though, to also purchase pieces that I like and to just enjoy them. Every buckle also has it's own history and I really enjoy just imagining where they've been.
    As for the PL leader's buckles I think I will probably go for the first one. I know it's not a sought-after buckle, but I think they are really interesting, aesthetically pleasing, and maybe under appreciated right now.

Anyways, thanks again for the replies!

Best,
    Adam