Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Stahlhelm Officers buckle?

Article about: Has anyone ever seen this buckle before? The detail is incredible. It is I believe a veterans buckle. Comment would be welcome, Bill

Default Stahlhelm Officers buckle?

Has anyone ever seen this buckle before? The detail is incredible. It is I believe a veterans buckle. Comment would be welcome,
    Bill
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stahlhelm Officers buckle?   Stahlhelm Officers buckle?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stahlhelm Officers buckle?
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Stahlhelm Officers buckle?

Bill

A quick google search turned up a "Alpenlaendischer Verband der Kriegsteilnehmer 1914-18 A.K.V.", an Austrian veterans' association. It was absorbed into the Kyffhäuser post annexation in 1938. I couldn't find any pictures of emblems or insignia, but one source had a description of a 1920ies flag, a steel helmet and the above designation. No proof, certainly, but an educated guess.

Perhaps someone knowledgable on this organisation could chime in?

Best regards,
    Karl

Bill

Not only is the quite superb detail of the buckle worthy of note, however also and in my opinion, so is the design. The angle of the steel helmet and the positioning of the chin strap, perhaps breaks away from a more "traditional" form.

A lovely buckle and so pleased that Karl has been able to possibly identify the organisation. Unfortunately and stupidly, I am unable to add anything.

Regards,

David,
    Thanks for the kind words and yes Karl was a tremendous help in the id on this buckle. You are correct in the comment on the detail the buckle has, even to the buckle and pin on the chin strap. The buckle is quite large-2 1/8 " or 5.4 cm across the center.

All the best,
    Bill

?

That is the most appealing design of a buckle I have ever seen. A work of art in and of itself. I wonder who the artist was that designed it? Idenity lost to time.