Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Red Star # 432026 / web resource question

Article about: Hello Folks, Toying with the idea of buying this but have a few questions I'd appreciate a view on! 1. The Подвиг Народk

?

Default Red Star # 432026 / web resource question

Hello Folks,

Toying with the idea of buying this but have a few questions I'd appreciate a view on!

1. The Подвиг Народа Website does not list this recipient (Sergei Silovanovich Samkharadze) as a holder of the Order of the Red Star; does that just mean that they don't hold the Red Army records for this particular award? (Guessing that the site's only as good as the data that's uploaded!)

2. The award number and book list the award from March 1944 but the book is post war - is it quite normal for the books to be issued retrospectively?

3. I think I'm looking at a genuine Type 2 Monetniy Dvor award; does anyone think it's bad?!

Thanks in advance.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Red Star # 432026 / web resource question
    P
    Many

?

Sometimes there's no citation in the Podvig Naroda database; some citations have gone missing during the war, but the most common explanation is that the citation is still classified.

Of course spelling variations also account for a lack of hits. This is particularly true for Caucasian and Central Asian names. In this particular case, the citation is in fact in the database under 'Samkaradze': Подвиг народа

As for your second question: order booklets were generally issued shortly after the war. During the war the recipient received a so-called 'temporary certificate', a fairly basic piece of paper, which was exchanged for an order booklet after the war.

Regarding your last question: the set is perfectly original.

I will endeavor to address your queries as listed.

1. Not unusual for awards to not be listed on Podvignaroda, especially NKVD and naval awards.

2. I think you mean retroactively not retrospectively, and yes, this is normal. the Award Book is dated October 1946 with privileges for his Order of the Red Star effective March 1944, when it was conferred.

3. Yes, I believe from the images provided your Order of the Red Star is genuine.

You might want to contact forum member Auke to see if he can perform further research on your Order of the Red Star. Just because it is not recorded in the archives doesn't necessarily mean no information is available, but I have been wrong before; in fact, many times.

?

Auke - thanks that's really helpful (and well spotted on the spelling).

I might just have to buy this one - interesting citation for a mortar platoon commander destroying an enemy counter attack if my Russian doesn't fail me!

?

Quote by Bill Garvy View Post
    2. I think you mean retroactively not retrospectively, and yes, this is normal. the Award Book is dated October 1946 with privileges for his Order of the Red Star effective March 1944, when it was conferred.
    Bill, thanks. Retroactively that's exactly what i meant to say!

Nice original star with booklet!

?

Just some random serials from a handful of publications.
    421,242 9.1.44 202 Rifle Division
    428,889 1.12.43
    432,026 Mar-44 YOURS------Samkaradze mortar platoon commander destroying an enemy counter attack
    437,786 26.2.44 2 Belorussian Front, 50 Army
    439,895 26.2.44 306 Assault Aviation Division, 672 Assault Aviation Regiment, Pilot, Donbass
    442,759 3.4.44 324 Rifle Division

?

Well I did buy it in the end.

432,026 - 1265th Rifle Regiment, 382 Rifle Division - 25.1.1944.

Then I accidentally bought another to keep it company - 698,829. Also 1944 but a slightly different variation with shallower edges. A bit of repaired enamel but the price was good.

These things are addictive.

They become an addiction indeed haha

Quote by Boycie View Post
    Then I accidentally bought another to keep it company
    Yeah, that happens
    I accidentally bought a TR destroyer badge when I got back from the pub - turned out to be all good.

They look great as a pair. These are arguably the best beautiful award of WW2, certainly well up in the top ten anyway.
    Nick