Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Thoughts on Red Star 3 rivet #27541

Article about: This Red Star is coming up for auction soon. I'm unsure of it's originality. According to odysseus, this should have a curved up mint mark, where this one looks straight. Am I reading this r

Default Thoughts on Red Star 3 rivet #27541

This Red Star is coming up for auction soon.
    I'm unsure of it's originality.
    According to odysseus, this should have a curved up mint mark, where this one looks straight. Am I reading this right?

http://www.odysseus1.freeyellow.com/odysseus/rs.htm
    Thoughts on Red Star 3 rivet #27541Thoughts on Red Star 3 rivet #27541

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Thoughts on Red Star 3 rivet #27541
    P
    Many

This one, # 27749, so only 208 numbers apart from yours was for sale on matt's website. I have no experience with these very early stars so I can't help. I can just show this example which is very close to yours for comparison.
    My own observartion is that the stars are far less pointy on yours while I always thought those earlier stars, just like Matt's star, are very pointy. But again, I have no experience so I can't help with this one.

I do not know too much about it either, but maybe this example is a good reference; Орден КРАСНОЙ ЗВЕЗДЫ - 6 .
    When I consult the book The comprehensive guide to Soviet orders and medals, it shows the same copy as on the mondvor.narod web page. The only difference is that they have a different serial number. Both do have a curved-up mint mark on the top arm.
    The comprehensive guide also mentions that this is the most faked variant of the Order of the Red Star.
    I would ask for more detailed photos of it anyway.

hmmm... gotta be a fake then. That lack of a curved mint mark and rounded star points is a red flag.

This one, # 27749, so only 208 numbers apart from yours
    Odds are high that they should be identical then.

?

Looking at the obverse, the shape of the arms and the mint mark, I'm pretty sure this was a Moscow Mint Red Star in the 2 million range made to look like an early three-rivet type Red Star.