MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Beobachterabzeichen ( luftwaffe observer badge) Fake??

Article about: hello all! my Father in law wants to buy this observer badge can anybody tell me if its Fake? and if it is fake how can you tell? Thank you very much for the expertise! and all of your time!

Default Beobachterabzeichen ( luftwaffe observer badge) Fake??

hello all!

my Father in law wants to buy this observer badge
    can anybody tell me if its Fake?
    and if it is fake how can you tell?

Thank you very much for the expertise!
    and all of your time!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Beobachterabzeichen ( luftwaffe observer badge) Fake??
    P
    Many

not for me i'm afraid. Wrong rivets wrong catch weak details. Regards Paul

In the first instance the title of this badge would be; Gemeinsames Flugzeugführer und Beobachterabzeichen (Combined Pilot and Observer badge) rather than the Beobachterabzeichen (Observer badge) sometimes referred to as the "Doppel-Abzeichen" (double badge).

It differed from the standard Beobachterabzeichen in that the wreath was gold coloured rather than silver.

This badge is much more scarce than the Beobachterabzeichen and therefore more expensive which is why I do not own own.

Firstly I would make clear that I am not an expert here and you should take other opinions too but I do not like this one and think it is a cast copy.

The lighting of these pictures and the red background seem to give the wreath a deceptively dark golden appearance.

The detail on the obverse is not as sharp as I would expect and there seems to be little wear to account for that.

The reverse has what seems to be a casting "lip" around all the edges, to me the hardware is wrong and the rivits seem very sloppy.

Also, I don't recall seeing one of these in an unmarked case. Usually they are in the blue covered wooden case with the full name of the badge on the lid.

As I say, I am not expert and you should wait for other opinion but based on what I see here I would leave this one

Regards

Mark

PS Looking again, is this just a very dirty and nicotine stained wreath that looks gold? Either way my opinion is the same
    Last edited by Watchdog; 08-14-2021 at 11:08 AM. Reason: edit
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by paulscoot View Post
    not for me i'm afraid. Wrong rivets wrong catch weak details. Regards Paul
    I took too long typing
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

I have to agree with the others here. The Rivets look very weird. During production the rivets were rounded. On this badge they look very poorly made, especially the right one. The details on the observe are not as sharp as you'd expect them to be (as noted by Paul and Watchdog). Plus: agian as stated by Watchdog and Paul, the hardware is wrong, on the authentic GWL's i've seen the "wrap around hinge" is always present.
    Last edited by Sensei; 08-14-2021 at 04:52 PM.