Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

C.E. Juncker Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.

Article about: This badge is variant M 2.1.8 on the Classification table attributed to C.E. Juncker of Berlin. This is the only variant by this maker to be found in zinc. The reverse has a short barrel hin

?

Default C.E. Juncker Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.

This badge is variant M 2.1.8 on the Classification table attributed to C.E. Juncker of Berlin. This is the only variant by this maker to be found in zinc.

The reverse has a short barrel hinge, typical Juncker pin that has a belly in the middle third. The catch should be a flat wire type mounted on a round base plate but this one has had a replacement being a round wire mounted on a rectangular base which looks period done.

Condition is good for a zinc badge with plenty of finish remaining with wear to the high points and some absorption on the waterspout.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture C.E. Juncker Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.   C.E. Juncker Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.  

C.E. Juncker Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.   C.E. Juncker Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.  

C.E. Juncker Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.  

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement C.E. Juncker Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.
    P
    Many

?

Hi Adrian,

Certainly M2.1.8 is an uncommon variant! Presumably the dies didn't last much longer after the large production runs of the Tombak version, and only small numbers were made in zinc before Juncker appears to have switched to the "2nd pattern" design (M 6.1).

I believe we can say the wreath was refinished on this example (perhaps at the same time as the catch repair). Universally the gilding (and indeed all the finish actually) was lost over time on this variant, despite the factory application of a lacquer that still be seen in traces on some examples.
    By coincidence, I have some images on file of your badge from some old postings on Militaria Fund-Forum back in 2015, and you can see what looks like paintbrush bristles trapped under the gold finish (see green arrows on attached image and your image).

Nevertheless, a hard variant to find.

Best regards,
    ---Norm
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture C.E. Juncker Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.   C.E. Juncker Kriegsabzeichen für Minensuch - U-Boots - Jagd - und Sicherungsverbände.  

?

Here are a couple of examples showing the usual faded finish with remnants of the brennlac lacquer.

?

Thank you for your reply Norm, much appreciated. I completely agree about the finish. Ever since I obtained it I have been searching for another with a similar finish but all I have come across is the dull lacquered look.

Good eye and memory for remembering you have seen the badge before! The bristles are clearly there.

I often wonder about the refinished badges and when they have been re-painted. Are you aware of any manufacturers that did this before the end of the war?
    Or is it safe to say that it was always done post war by collectors or the family of the awardee?

It's easy to dismiss refinished badges as being post war done because the word has connotations to make it convenient for collectors to default to that assumption but I have no idea if badge manufacturers or outlets offered a refinishing and repair service.

If your awarded badge got damaged in the line of duty or by accident, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that you would want to keep that same badge for sentimental reasons or simply because you couldn't afford or obtain a replacement.

In the case of the Kriegsmarine, being at sea for extended periods, I can imagine a broken badge or one with the finish lost being brought back to life on board ships.

?

Hi Adrian,

Yes, there have often been discussions on the possibility (likelihood?) of factory repairs of badges in wartime. Unfortunately, to my knowledge we don't have hard evidence or established examples for reference. When wartime-compatible hardware is used, in most cases we don't currently have any way to determine when a repair or refinishing job was done (aside from the post-war refinishing of some Souval badges).

Best regards,
    ---Norm

?

What about S&L badges Norm? Obviously there is discussion about post war products being made by them, assembled from leftover parts and refinished.
    I picked up an S&L minesweeper that has been refinished, variant M2.6.4 for very little money. That one sits in the middle of the S&L variants on the table but is there an approximate time line for that badge being produced?
    I'll post it up when I get the chance.